Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know im running a gorgeous:D 96 Elantra J2.
Ive now decided that i wanna turbo the car, only thing i can't decide on is whether to keep my current 1.6L motor or change it to a 1.8L Elantra motor and then do the turbo conversion.

I know there will be a slight increase in power but do you guys think it'll be worth the extra cost?
Also will the 1.8L motor fit in without any major mods on the car?
Also will the gearbox be strong enough to handle around 200hp at the wheels?
(I don't think so:confused:)

· Registered
6,582 Posts
I'm not sure if South Africa saw or has any of the 2.0L motors, but that would also be an option.

And yes, you should definitely swap to the 1.8L (if the 2.0L is unavailable). More parts are readily available to bolt onto it for a turbo system install. And the engine and tranny are a bit more stout to handle the additional power output.

· Registered
476 Posts
I'm not sure if South Africa saw or has any of the 2.0L motors, but that would also be an option.

And yes, you should definitely swap to the 1.8L (if the 2.0L is unavailable). More parts are readily available to bolt onto it for a turbo system install. And the engine and tranny are a bit more stout to handle the additional power output.
Tranny is exactly the same and even the engine is not much different. The 1.6 can produce the same numbers as the 1.8 and even the 2.0!
The 1.6 and 1.8 share the same block, just with different bore (so the 1.6 ist more solid/has more material around the cylinders!

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Beta_engine

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well the 2.0L came to SA I can get 1 but they are quite pricey.
We pay alot for engine's and gearboxes in SA..believe me!!
That's why im looking at the 1.8L...but if you guys think the 1.6L will be fine then i'll stick to it..It'll save me a quite a bit of cash(more money to spend on a proper turbo conversion)
We don't really get bolt on turbo kits in SA, so unfortunately my whole turbo setup will be built from scratch, custom manifold, custom piping ect.

Im also not quite sure of wich turbo to fit..
Im not a noob at this( I did a 1991 BMW 5 series 540i turbo conversion) The only problem is that Elantra parts are hard to come by in SA.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
Tranny is exactly the same and even the engine is not much different. The 1.6 can produce the same numbers as the 1.8 and even the 2.0!
The 1.6 and 1.8 share the same block, just with different bore (so the 1.6 ist more solid/has more material around the cylinders!

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Beta_engine
You sure about that? I ask, because if the 1.6L shares the same block as the 1.8L, then that means that the 1.6L/1.8L/2.0L ALL have the same block. And I'm sorry to tell you, that isn't true. 1.8L/2.0L share the same block. The 1.6L is not of the Beta variety. That's an Alpha engine.

And if you want to get even more technical, the 1.5L from the S Coupe is better than all of these motors, in that it was forged from the factory and built to be boosted. And that motor can easily handle 220hp without needing some extra help on the internals.

· Registered
476 Posts
You sure about that? I ask, because if the 1.6L shares the same block as the 1.8L, then that means that the 1.6L/1.8L/2.0L ALL have the same block. And I'm sorry to tell you, that isn't true. 1.8L/2.0L share the same block. The 1.6L is not of the Beta variety. That's an Alpha engine.
I am absolutely sure that the 1.6 liter engine in the J2 series is a Beta I engine! I have one lying around (see attached pictures, the block is marked "β 1.6").
The 1.6 liter Alpha only produces about 105hp and was introduced in 2001!

Attachments

· Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
There are 1.6 Betas out there (just not in the US) most of them are diesel though.

I would Turbo the 1.6!!!! That would be pretty unique and If in fact it's the same block You boost the S H I T out of that thing!!!

· Registered
476 Posts
There are 1.6 Betas out there (just not in the US) most of them are diesel though.

I would Turbo the 1.6!!!! That would be pretty unique and If in fact it's the same block You boost the S H I T out of that thing!!!
There is definately no 1.6 liter Beta diesel! Hyundai only offered a 1.9 liter diesel engine on some markets

But I would also turbo the 1.6 liter, because it will handle much more boost than the 1.8/2.0

· Registered
6,582 Posts
Why would the 1.6 handle more boost then the Beta II? Just curious, as smaller motors are not notorious for handling more power than a larger engine.

And while those pictures do look similar to the Beta, I'll remain unconvinced for the time being. It just doesn't make any sense to me as to why Hyundai would create a 1.6/1.8/2.0 for the same years of cars, even for different markets. Oh, and to clarify, the 2.0 Beta I was also available on the J2, at least here in the states.

· Banned
11,241 Posts
smaller bore can handle higher cylinder pressures.

Us NA owners get confused easily, our 1.6 is an Alpha derivative with a DOHC head.

· Registered
476 Posts
smaller bore can handle higher cylinder pressures.

Us NA owners get confused easily, our 1.6 is an Alpha derivative with a DOHC head.
It can handle more boost, because there is more material around the cylinder (same outer dimensions but smaller bore)!

And yes, the XD (and also 2003+ Tibby) uses the 1.6 liter Alpha II engine! Also the late RD (aka RD2) use the Alpha II, the early RD (until 2000) use the Beta I.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for all the replies guys!!
Much appreciated!!
Ok so you guys think i should keep the 1.6L and turbo it, that will at least save me some cash.
Now next question, what about the gearbox? Will it handle the strain of the extra power?
Just to confirm for you guys, the 2.0L J2 was available in South Africa.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
From your pictures Catfish, the gear box looks identical to the one outside in my car. But appearances can be deceiving.

That said, if indeed they share the same one, you can actually go well past the 200hp mark with no problems (like 300hp or more), other than needing an upgraded clutch. And an LSD would be ideal, but not entirely necessary.

· Registered
476 Posts
From your pictures Catfish, the gear box looks identical to the one outside in my car. But appearances can be deceiving.

That said, if indeed they share the same one, you can actually go well past the 200hp mark with no problems (like 300hp or more), other than needing an upgraded clutch. And an LSD would be ideal, but not entirely necessary.
I checked: the tranny itself is the same but with different gear ratios.
But it will handle the greater numbers...

· Registered
6,582 Posts
Okay, so the casing is the same, gears are different. IIRC, the gears are taller for the smaller motor, which when boost is applied, can make for a very nice, top speed car. I have a friend down in Florida that kept the 1.6 (Alpha) tranny and put in the Beta. When he boosted, the only thing he hated was the 1st and 2nd gears, he couldn't get through 'em quick enough even at 8 psi of boost.

I wonder if it's possible to retain 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, and just swap out 1st and 2nd....would be neat if someone could figure out if it's possible and actually do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts