Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a little bit of noise coming from under the hood. It doesn't sound too serious but, but the car usto be a lot quieter. Should I take it to the dealership to see if there's anything wrong or should I not expect the car to sound like it usto when brand new? I got it in October but I've put a little over 18,000 miles on it already. BTW, the engine is completely stock.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It kinda sounds as if something was loose (a little rattle) under the plastic engine cover. I'd take it off to check it out but i'm living in my schools dorms and I have absolutely no tools here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
its probably a pulley from ur belt, or even the ac pulley. those tend to make a lot of noise after a while.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go to school at UWF (Pensacola). I was checking it out today at it does kind of seem as if its coming from the pulleys. Any way to get it back to being quiet or is it just something normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to have similar problem as QuickSilverGT's having.
My car (well, actually my sister's) is 2001 and only has 25,000km (15k miles) on.
Since I don't drive it that much, I didn't notice it till last week.
The noise looks like it's coming from the belt (don't know which one exactly). I don't think it's something serious but it's anoying when I stop at the light. I can also hear a bit of ticking noise with a little rattle.
I should get it looked by a mechanic. Too bad I'm out of waranty :(

YJ

·
Banned
4,074 Posts
QuickSilverGT said:
It kinda sounds as if something was loose (a little rattle) under the plastic engine cover. I'd take it off to check it out but i'm living in my schools dorms and I have absolutely no tools here.
Are the screws that hold the plastic engine bay cover loose?..I had this problem and it made a rattle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just drove my coleague's 2k2 VE with 21,000km on today and I noticed little bit of engine noise when I opened the hood. It was definately from the belts. It doesn't sound something serious but sure it bothered me. I was just wondering if everyone noticed that. I had 95 integra with 197,000km I just sold this week and the engine was more quieter than elantras with less than 22,000 km on.

YJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts