Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2002 Elantra GLS and everytime i start it up or turn a corner to sharp i hear a REALLY loud quite annoying and embarassing squeaking noise. I CANNOT figure out what it is and have tried everything to stop it. I think its the belt becuase i tightened it and it died down a little bit, but not much. I gets a little bit worse when i turn the A/C on or heat on too. PLEASE HELP!
Thanks.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
got the same problem on mine. Changed all the belts a few months ago, and now the power steering belt wont stop squealing when its cold. Tight/Loose, cant get it right. Just dealing with it for now, might try a different belt eventually.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 03' GT does this also. Not only does one of the belts squeak, but the engine bogs down horribly with the wheel turned full stop. This seems to be a very common problem on the XD.

I wonder what (if anything) they changed on the XD2 to fix this problem. My 04' GLS doesn't have this problem and the engine doesn't bog down like the GT does.

It seems like a pressure relief valve related problem. Does anyone know if the XD and XD2 use the exact same pump and/or rack, or are they different parts?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I thoought mine was the power steering belt too, because it squeeled when I turned the wheel.....turns out, it was the alt belt. Yeah, makes no sense, but when I tightened the alt belt, it hasnt squeeled since then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i tightened my belt to but it still hasnt stopped. It has 105,000 miles on it and the previous owner said he just got a new belt, but i think he might have been bull****ing me or it was put on wrong, prolly just going to buy a new one. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
How much fluid is in the PS tank? That would make it squeak when the wheel is turned.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I was Joking Remember you cant take me Seriously any more.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My power steering belt always squeals and makes it sound like Im driving some old POS car. Ive only got 66k on my '05.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, it is fairly embarrassing. I mean how many newer cars do you hear with squeaky belts? Not too many.

When I back out of my parking spot at work everyone just kind of stares at me. I hate it. :hand:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been having the same problem, changed the belts after a few days started squealing on start up in the mornings and at the end of the day when I leave work. Tightened the power steering belt, no change. Yesterday changed the oil, tightened the alt. belt. No squeal this morning and this is the coolest morning we've had.

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
Yes, it is fairly embarrassing. I mean how many newer cars do you hear with squeaky belts? Not too many.

When I back out of my parking spot at work everyone just kind of stares at me. I hate it. :hand:
Whatever is the car, if the strap is due, it'll squeak.
Change it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02 GLS. Even after all brand new belts, it was squeaking with in 6K miles. I tightened up the PS belt, and squeak went away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Whatever is the car, if the strap is due, it'll squeak.
Change it.
The car has 54k and it has been changed once already.

Can anyone explain why turning the wheel all the way on the 03' seems to put an extreme load on the engine that causes the headlights to dim and the idle to drop? The 04' has no such problem.

·
01 Elantra GLS - Newbie
43 Posts
I've been having the same problem, changed the belts after a few days started squealing on start up in the mornings and at the end of the day when I leave work. Tightened the power steering belt, no change. Yesterday changed the oil, tightened the alt. belt. No squeal this morning and this is the coolest morning we've had.
How is it now? Are you saying tightening the alt belt solved your problem?

I have just replaced both belts less than 5 days ago... been gettin the same problem everyone has been speaking of. As soon as I get a chance to tighten them again, I'll report back.

- 2001, 75k mi
- Oil was done 2 weeks ago.

·
Bo daddy
224 Posts
Yes i thought my PS belt went out too. I had tightened it at the time and bought a new ps pump. still squeaked. it only happened when i turned the wheel at a stop. turned out i found that the bolt that adjusts the alternator belt was gone! found a bolt the same size and could tighten it down. no squeak, but even when i turn my wheel at a dead stop it makes a low end kind of sond like its straining my pulleys of sound, but as long as it isnt squealing...im fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.