Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spike
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Dave I am 21 and have had my Elantra since i purchased it from my grandfather at 17. I have been hovering the boards here and at elantraclub, have a few posts here. So about two weeks ago i had catastrophic failure in my engine (car has auto trans.), and now need two replace it with another 4 banger w/ manual trans. or possibly a v6 tib engine with a 6 speed manual. I am not interested in forced induction(at least till i am out of college lol). Currently i deliver food for a bbq place, so i do not want the headaches of a turbo or sc . The most performance i will be going for at this time with the v6 will be full exhaust and intake. Maybe i will try and shed her weight since she will be gaining a little. I also need tires currently and the trans. is also on its way out. I feel as long as it can be easily done then it would be worth picking up a wrecked tib. with good engine, trans, axles, etc. No matter what route i take i will be doing the work along with some good friends. We all have knowledge within the field so i am not worried about doing the work. Currently i am most concerned about the engine/trans mounts and the wiring. Do the mounts need to be moved, i would think not if hyundai was smart. Can i just throw the computer from the tib. in my car wire everything up and go? Or will i have to change things like key cylinder in steering column then also etacs, etc.? Also i am curious if anyone can give me a good guess at how much room is between the engine and the radiator support (elantra with v6 swap), my guess is 1.5" to 2" but i have really no idea. Reason being i have an evo radiator in the car, which if i remember correctly it is a 2" core with .5" slim fans. I can just reverse wires and make them push if i think i have 2" of room, i can always make it fit if i have to but the less work it adds the better. I do know someone with a welder, but i don't want to do anything to insane, well some what maybe. Depends on your def. of insane. Obviously clutch pedal has to be put in. I also will of course use the tib. seats and all that good stuff. I realize like a few people in korea have done this and someone else is currently doing it on here(project is paused for the moment if i am not mistaking). I really want to do the swap to know the benefits (if any) of it for all of us. No matter what i will document the v6 swap or auto to manual 4 banger, for the info or just enjoyment. I know i will not loose any performance by doing this, so i am not worried about performance as much as what car i buy for the swap.

Edit: radiator is 3" core 1" slim fans

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
unless u have the time, and money, and other means of transportation, i suggest staying away from the v6 swap.

ofcourse, if u have a 2nd car, the time and money, to do this sort of project, then by all means, have at it... but im guessing you dont, so id fix it as easily and as quickly as possible so u can keep working.

im currently doing a 5 speed swap in my elantra... and the only reason its even happening, is because i live close enough to my job that i can ride a bike.

·
Spike
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a car to use at work, but i really don't need a car other then that because i am in the city right now. I can get a ride from a friend if i really need one or ride a bike also (the walk or run isn't bad either). However i do not want to use their car for much longer, because it is not mine and i am not paying them to use it (per them, i offered money but they said just pay for my gas). I am cutting down on hours soon though so i wont be using it as much. I am still looking into the similarities between the cars because of my concerns, which are mainly the wiring and mounts. I am trying to make sure i know at least any big problems i may have. Also no matter what i am going manual.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
i dont know the details, but i can tell u theres a v6 swap thread floating around here, do a search for it maybe u can find it. im sure itll have tons of info ud like.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
ill tell you like i told the last guy, you'll never do a v6 swap, so just go ahead and forget about it and put a used 2.0 back into it

·
Spike
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill tell you like i told the last guy, you'll never do a v6 swap, so just go ahead and forget about it and put a used 2.0 back into it
keeping this on record. no matter what one day i will do a V6 swap to an elantra.;)

But seriously if you aren't going to give information i am looking for don't even bother posting. You aren't going to decide whether i do this in the end or not, the research i am doing and any valuable info i get here (or as of now seems just elantraclub) will. I do also respect your educated guess' so they are welcome.:)

·
12,676 Posts
keep it on record until the internet ends. you WILL NOT do it. theres been very few done, and you come in thinking because your motor is blown you can just drop in a v6. you dont drive a honda, its not a bolt in project, its a metric **** ton of work, and in the end you get what...35 more hp? you're not going to drop thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars (which i'll just take a stab and say you dont have if you're 21 and working as a "lot attendant") in bits and pieces alone, as well as the fabrication skills you're going to need to do all the work, into a car that in excellent condition might fetch $3-4000

im not much older than you, but i remember how i was when i was 21. i talked like i was going to do everything in the world to my car. looking back now, im sure i sounded pretty dumb back then, and you'll realize you do too...hopefully sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
There's some dude in Germany on here trying it... search for the thread. short version is that he started over a year ago but as of late has run out of $$$... I think he may have got most of the parts, but not even close to having the engine mounted...

·
Spike
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
keep it on record until the internet ends. you WILL NOT do it. theres been very few done, and you come in thinking because your motor is blown you can just drop in a v6. you dont drive a honda, its not a bolt in project, its a metric **** ton of work, and in the end you get what...35 more hp? you're not going to drop thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars (which i'll just take a stab and say you dont have if you're 21 and working as a "lot attendant") in bits and pieces alone, as well as the fabrication skills you're going to need to do all the work, into a car that in excellent condition might fetch $3-4000

im not much older than you, but i remember how i was when i was 21. i talked like i was going to do everything in the world to my car. looking back now, im sure i sounded pretty dumb back then, and you'll realize you do too...hopefully sooner rather than later.
I don't know if ill do it now but i will def do it because my elantra will never leave my possession till the day i die, none of the cars i ever own will (i won't explain why). that's what i meant by it will be done one day, whether it is 5 years from now. Ya my engine blew up and i need to replace it, the cars auto trans. is going, i need new tires, car could use exhaust work so why not bang everything at once. Car could also use struts, the list continues. I am going to be spending money out the *** anyway, and ive figured out the cost and its about the same (not counting my time as money of course which my time is very expensive (not by choice)) I am saying that this swap would solve all those problems for me. Also i am not looking for performance out of this, ya i know 35 more hp and more weight and all that ****. you dont even know how difficult is because like everyone knows it hasn't really been done. Fab skills you say, well thats right up my ally. I am majoring in Industrial Design if you know what that is. I fab **** everyday. **** that doesn't even exist. Everything from very large products to very small products. i use everything from metal, to styrene, acrylic, fiberglass, actually basiclly anything that gets the job done. also you may think you sounded dumb back in the day, but i don't feel i do. I actually made awesome money lot attending (lot attending standards), i make better now because i do not do that anymore and unlike you do not live on the internet and update my **** everytime my life changes. Ya it is a **** ton of work but i don't see that much "difficult work" involved, maybe difficult for others. I came here to gain info and to share hopefully an interesting project either way, instead i get bull**** comments saying youll never do it blah, f****** blah. to tell you the truth you discouraged me from even coming on here. way to be a big help, i guess ill just stick to elantraclub from now on were there is at least no f****** pointless posts in my thread. responding to you is a big waste of time and energy and it won't happen again. i doubt ill even bother doing anything with this thread, so if a mod wants to close this feel free.

---------- Post added 08-08-2010 at 11:34 PM ----------

also the reason hondas are straight bolt in swaps is not because its a "honda" even it is because they do what all smart companies do and use basically the same car for multiple cars, just different engines, body panels, etc. i bet you hyundai did the same or else they are stupid. i can tell you there have been things i have designed that are two different products, but the core is the same. that's why it would make sense if the mounts are the same and i doubt there is a lot of fab work. it is a very common practice for companies to do this and it saves them a **** tons of money. it also gives them a product for practically nothing. that's why i believe the work isn't that difficult. I did not and do not only learn about the design process in school but manufacturing techniques and plenty of tricks used for manufacturing currently. This is a major one, sharing major parts with another products. Especially when it comes down to spending hundreds of thousands on 1 mold or 2 because you cut the price in half if you get it down to one mold. This allows for cheaper sale of the product as well.

·
12,676 Posts
responding to you is a big waste of time and energy and it won't happen again

---------- Post added 08-08-2010 at 11:34 PM ----------

[/COLOR]also the reason hondas are straight bolt in swaps is not because its a "honda" even it is because they do what all smart companies do and use basically the same car for multiple cars, just different engines, body panels, etc. i bet you hyundai did the same or else they are stupid. i can tell you there have been things i have designed that are two different products, but the core is the same. that's why it would make sense if the mounts are the same and i doubt there is a lot of fab work. it is a very common practice for companies to do this and it saves them a **** tons of money. it also gives them a product for practically nothing. that's why i believe the work isn't that difficult. I did not and do not only learn about the design process in school but manufacturing techniques and plenty of tricks used for manufacturing currently. This is a major one, sharing major parts with another products. Especially when it comes down to spending hundreds of thousands on 1 mold or 2 because you cut the price in half if you get it down to one mold. This allows for cheaper sale of the product as well.
lol. whatever dude. think what you want, your elantra will never have a v6 in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts