Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tips would everyone have on cleaning up the engine (removing oil sludge/varnish)? If it's on the dipstick and the oil pan bolt, I think a cleaning would be in order.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Just make sure you use... nevermind. Not going to go there.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
I just finished working on a sludged up car today. Two oil flushes, removed valve cover and oil pan to clean thoroughly, ran straight atf through it for a little bit, then put in fresh oil and filter. Cost the customer over $3k.

·
LikeItLoud
306 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that nobody suggested that sea-foam stuff I've read so much about in these forums.

I can't personally suggest it since I haven't used it, but there were quite a few posts on it throughout the forums before they change.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used auto rx on my Passat, seemed to work fine. And Passats are known sludge buckets. At a cost of about $25, I think I'd try that first unless your engine is severely sludged. Only downside to auto rx is that the process takes a few thousand miles for the clean and rinse, which for me was several months. But that was over 50k miles ago, and have had no oil related issues since. And the car had only mild deposits and varnish to start with; i.e. it was more of a preventative treatment for me than a fix. But others have used it quite successfully on sludgy engines. Google up auto rx and check their website.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just finished working on a sludged up car today. Two oil flushes, removed valve cover and oil pan to clean thoroughly, ran straight atf through it for a little bit, then put in fresh oil and filter. Cost the customer over $3k.
Would you be willing to add a little more detail to the process you are talking about? I recently purchased an 05 Elantra GT
or course I didn't look at the oil before I bought it. Surprise when I see it is a sludge mess. I wasn't happy, but it is what it
is. I've done two oil changes with Mobil 1 full synthetic and that seems to have cleared up some. I've heard of this ATF thing,
but I want to make sure I do thing right. I watched a video of a guy doing a sludge cleaning on a neglected vehicle by removing
the valve cover and scraping. He did under the oil pan but didn't go into detail of what he did there. Any help on that part?
thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have never had to use any on a Hyundai but on other vehicles I always used Amsoil Engine & Trans flush. Its always worked good for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts