Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a beta engine that I'm rebuilding for my 01 Elantra. It's going to be setup to handle high boost from a td05 Mitsubishi turbo. I have 7.8:1 compression from new forged rods n pistons I got. My problem right now is the valves and springs. I have no clue what I should get. Any suggestions? Oh n also I figured 290cc injectors will be fine for now running low boost but soon when I really push the envelope, that size should I go with for between 26-32 lbs? Maybe over 600cc or even incorporate a 5th injector setup but deffinatly a fuel management system. Well anyway any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.

I just had an idea if I ran a small t03 size turbo with those pistons at albs can I get away with using the stock valves?

At 8lbs*

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Don't know much on turbos, but I think you can upgrade to the Sonata injections for extra boost you will be running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what what size the sonata engine is that would be fine for about 8lbs but after that those will start to become to small so I figure 630cc with fuel management and possible a fifth injector will be plenty for 26+lbs but my real proplem right know is the I have no idea the type/size of valves and valve spring to get for my engine rebuild that would correlate with that ridiculous amount of boost and lowered compression of 7.8:1.

Well for what the*

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
If you want to push 30 PSI but don't know what injectors to pick, I'm sorry but you need more reading.

Here is the general rule of thumb with injectors: Buy once, buy big. Buy a set of 1000's. FIC is a proven injector company, along with PTE, and so on. I wouldn't go with much more than that, as you will have idling issues. Larger injectors will also allow you to run E-85, which requires more fuel, only a bigger injector (750+) can deliver.

630cc's won't be anywhere good enough for 26 PSI. They will allow you to go to about 20-22ish, depending on the turbo.

What TD05 are you using? There's quite the difference between the 16G and 20G... Please specify. If you want to run 30 PSI on a 16G you better be running E-85 or a lot of meth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Srry I forgot to specify it will be a 20g TD05. Now with that in mind I shall look into injectors 1000cc+ and yes at that point of over 26-30 lbs of boost I already have a menthol injection setup waiting to be installed.

So my big problem now is just the valves and springs.....still not sure what sizing and measurements I need for them.

Oh n another problem I just realized -.- I forgot the head is only aluminum, any recommendations for that?

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
Best 1000cc injector on the market now is Injector Dynamics Hands Down!

How hard are you trying to turn this engine? Stock valves will be probably more than enough for what your trying to do. You just need to upgrade the valve springs. Do you have a targeted horsepower goal? If your trying to build an engine for all out power you need to start over and get a better set of pistons and rods with a better compression than 7.8:1. It would take forever to build boost with that compression.

Why do you think the head being aluminum is a problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the injector recommendation. To be honest I don't have a true goal nothing too crazy because I want it to be completely streetable. Just going to see how hard I can safely push it.

Ok so 7.8:1 you think is too low so what if I got forged set around 8.5:1?

Could you give me a recommendation for the springs?

And with the head; that's cause everyone was telling me that it will be too weak.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Head will be okay. Stock valves will be okay, however a set of valve springs / retainers, and cams will help the engine breathe better, and shift your powerband up a little more. Just remember a good headgasket and studs, so you're not lifting the head under boost.

You'll love the 20G as a street turbo.

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
If you want to do the 7.8 go for it I'm really not trying to change your mind. Its just my opinion after building that setup I really really didn't like it at all. I personally like my C/R to be about 8.9-9.2:1, but 8.5 would be good for a street car. As for valve springs, I'm hearing that people are starting to use 4g63t CROWER springs for a Eclispe/Talon. I've never tried this I use Ferrea/Midnight Motoring Spring, Seats, Retainer Combo with a new O.E. Headgasket and ARP's.

I think you need to sit down and make a power goal for yourself. It would help the people helping you make recommendations on what you need. There's a big difference between building a 350whp car vs. a 550whp car.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
The thing with lower compression, is that it comes in handy when you have a bigger turbo. You'll need to run more boost to get the same power as you would on an engine with a higher compression ratio, but, you will be pushing the big turbo into it's efficiency range. Of course wither side has it's benefits and drawbacks, but 7:8.1 isn't as bad as it sounds. The engine in my other car is 7.8:1 and it moves the heavy car around fine for city driving and whatnot.

But I fully agree, a goal is a must. That way you can piece parts together, and parts that work well with other parts.

And as TSmooth said, you could look into and do some research into the valve springs off a 4G63. I myself have the Crower springs, seats, and retainers like he said in my 4G63, and they're good. Make sure you research though, because if they fit and work in the BETA engine, you have a big door opening when it comes to choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so first I would like to thnk you guys so much for all the help thus far. I'm trying to research the springs right now.

I have talked it over with my buddies and we decided on 400-450 is a good goal. Leaning towards the 400 for now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn now were arguing about piping size for the intake and exhaust. Now our final goal will be 450hp, but if we can produce more at our projected boost level then we will. (30-32lbs) ok so as you know I will be running the td05 20g, with a twin scroll manifold. Now we think 3-3.25 will be enough with that huge output to not create back pressure but we might do a custom twin pipe instead. With the intercooler piping and intake piping, will 2.5-3 be efficient?

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
3" Exhaust and 2.5" IC pipes is good enough for 450

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
You could use 3" IC pipes as well, with a giant core. You will want a big core regardless. However, you could use 2.5" IC piping, TiAL BOV, and a 3" mandrel bent, catless exhaust. No point going duals, it just adds weight. No point going more than 3".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How big of a core we talking for 3"

The turbo I have is 55.8/49.1mm turbine with a Garret 60.2/78mm 60-1 compressor wheel.

Oh n for the bov, yes I love the TiAL but the blitz sounds crazy too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I have a beta engine that I'm rebuilding engines for my 01 Elantra. It's going to be setup to handle high boost from a td05 Mitsubishi turbo. I have 7.8:1 compression from new forged rods n pistons I got. My problem right now is the valves and springs. I have no clue what I should get. Any suggestions? Oh n also I figured 290cc injectors will be fine for now running low boost but soon when I really push the envelope, that size should I go with for between 26-32 lbs? Maybe over 600cc transmissions or even incorporate a 5th injector setup but deffinatly a fuel management system. Well anyway any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx guys.

I just had an idea if I ran a small t03 size turbo with those pistons at albs can I get away with using the stock valves?

At 8lbs*
As you do that ran a small t03 size turbo... You end up with a great idea to get away that stock valves. You can get rid off it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts