Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to Hyundai and this forum, glad to be here, love the '08 Elantra I just bought. I read everything I could but cannot find a definitive answer, what generation engine is int he Elantra, mine is a 2.0 16 valve 5 speed, I have seen things like BetaII, "world" motor and modified BetaII but couldn't find a definitive, someone please give me the final word so I can start making changes!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The Elantra is still using the Beta II motor. It has been since 2001, but changed from MAP to MAF based for the 2004. The HD model (2007+) made some small changes to the engine, but nothing major.

The "World Engine" is also called "Theta." The 2.0L Theta is not yet in any U.S. vehicles. The 2.4L Theta is used in the Sonata though.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
^ The chassis is different. I would bet that the exhaust system layout or routing would have changed due to the difference in rear suspension on the new HD versus the old XD/XD2.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
^ The chassis is different. I would bet that the exhaust system layout or routing would have changed due to the difference in rear suspension on the new HD versus the old XD/XD2.
The muffler is now placed ahead of the rear suspension rather than behind it. Routing is similar to the XD/2, but rather than going over the rear suspension, the tailpipe runs around the lower part of the suspension.

The head is slightly changed, partiularly the exhaust valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts