Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Hi all. I've been wading through threads in the forums, and I'm finally posting, since my searches are coming up empty. (my first post here; woohoo!) Anyway, I was comparing gas mileage and such against a lot of modern compacts, when I noticed the following:

... I am completely new to this, having just bought a 2002 GT a month ago (90K), and knowing next to nothing about cars. So, I have a few questions, and hopefully I can be pointed to the right direction in terms of information I overlooked:

1) What changed at mid-generation that led to the dramatic increase in the Elantra's air pollution score?

2) If the hardware that changed for the XD2 in the above question fits the XD, is it economically feasible to my car this way?

3) For someone new to modding, what are some of the relatively simple (& inexpensive) modifications that can be recommended to increase horse power and/or torque? (without significantly affecting emissions in a negative manner) When all is said and done, I'm probably not looking for more than a 15% increase. (if that) I've read some on CAI's, SRI's, exhaust modifications, weight reduction, and I'm not quite sure where to start.

4) I've seen next to nothing on ways to increase the gas mileage of the vehicle. (besides changes in driver behavior, which should probably top the list) Are there known modifications that don't incur a significant negative impact to engine power? Is looking for around a 10% increase in MPG's reasonable?

... Basically, the ultimate goal is for my GT to be comparable (if not better) than just about any stock modern compact (with a similar engine), by all the criteria I'm asking about above. This is meant to be a daily driver, and not only do I want it to be fun to drive, I also want to reduce it's enviromental impact, if possible. Thanks for your consideration...

L8rs,
Ed

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The only way to get more MPG out of the car, is to keep the RPMs down and the speed up. Larger overall wheel/tire diameter can achieve this, however in doing so your speedomoter/odometer will be off, and your car's low-end power and acceleration will suffer (imagine always being in a higher gear).

A 10% increase in MPG would be about 2.7mpg. Some people have claimed a 1-3mpg gain by putting on a less restrictive air filter/intake. Results may vary.

Also, as was posted, the engine changed to include continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) on the XD2, whereas the XD did not have that.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
you could see some gains in mpg from a under drive pulley. Spin the extra stuff slower = less drag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts