Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ninja Super Mod
17,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have run out of ideas.

Symptoms:

On cold start, car ALWAYS hesitates on the first take-off, and feels like it wants to die when I press the throttle. Give it 30 seconds of driving (more idling doesn't change a thing), and it is fine. Hesitates a bit (sometimes) on heavy throttle though until it warms up.

No CEL.

I don't understand what this could be. Anyone have any clue? Since my engine swap I replaced everything new (plugs, blah blah), so the basic tune-up is there. Never did a compression test, I think I should give the old gauge a try one of these days.

Thoughts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Sole USA XD in Holland
1,207 Posts
I have the exact same thing in the winter Kewlkat. It starts fine, no long cranking or anything. But once i put it in D and press the throttle the car doesnt respond for a few seconds and then kinda shoots forward.

never had a cell either, and the car runs perfect ones its warmed up a bit.

hesitating on full throttle when cold is a safety i think. Mine doesnt shift back all the way either when its cold and i floor it. But once the engine is warm it reacts fine.

Idk what this is either, but what i do in the winter is this:

- start
- put in D
- let the car shift in D and start rolling (auto always rolls a bit of course)
- no throttle for the first few meters..just rolling w/ idle

after those first few meters i carefully give some gas, and it usually works fine then

lemme know if you find any more info dude.

steev-o

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
I've been having the same problem, but I haven't found a fix for it either. I'm just real easy on the gas until it stops.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
Just going to take a random stab here, try running some injector cleaner through and see if that helps.

a quick search online showed this:

Engine doesn't want to increase its speed:
When you step on the gas, the engine seems to slow down and sometimes it stalls. You have to press down on the gas pedal very slowly to increase the speed of the engine. Even with that, the car doesn't seem to move like it should, and there is a general lack of power. You may or may not notice the problem when the engine is hot or cold.

Possible causes:
You may have a dirty air filter: Replace the air filter.
The fuel filter may be clogged: Replace fuel filter.
The ignition timing may be set wrong: Adjust ignition timing.
You may have water in the gasoline: Drain the gas tank and flushed with fresh gas and refill. (Generally not a DIY job)
Your catalytic converter may be clogged: Replace catalytic converter.
The fuel pump may be shot: Replace fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
It hasn't ever hurt anything. STP and Lucas are two major brands we like to use here at work. I think it'll help more if you like to use cheap fuel as cheaper fuel doesn't have as many detergents (or cheaper ones) to help keep things clean.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
My car usually does this when I leave work. I get in the car and idle out of the parking lot. When I turn left out of the lot to the road and am accelerating, the car kinda bogs down for a second, then goes normally. Doesn't do it again after that. It does not do it unless it's been sitting around in the lot all day.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
good fuel at a 1,39 a litre lol what fawkin crooks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a lag when below 1500 when opening the throttle, put in plugs wires, TPS (was showing a bad spot) , nothing had the Waacss flash done on the ecu , still had it , checked the codes ,nothing. Year later still anoyed went to change the plugs, noticed the number one pug wire was not on all the way :confused:, so pulled the pulg and noticed carbon on it. Odd decided before I trash the pugs I switched the plug from number one to number two, went for a drive.

Number two wire is not seated when I get back , so I change the plugs and poof no stumble, so it had to be the plug.

They were new when they went in from a reputable store. Since the plugs went in the TPS was replaced , but it is still on the car and no stumble at low rpm at all now. Trust me I've tried to get it to do it, and the proof is my wife (who can break anything ) drove it and asked what did I do to it to fix it.

May be some thing to check, even new pugs .

As for the old plug with the problem was a ngk platinum , gapped to 40, so should not have had anything there but showed what looked like carbon tracking ( like on old point ignition ,for those who are as old as I am or work on dinosaurs ) on the insolator just below the cap. Seemed to be leaking but I have never seen one like this.

So just a thought ,not and expensive fix.

wfd59

Smart people run out of a burning building , why am I running in ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nope, you're not the only one. This just started happening on my car a couple weeks ago, which coincides with the post i put here.

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29988

I wonder if they are related.....

I'm going to change out my Purge, CCV, and fuel filter this weekend, I'll see what happens.

Interesting to see i'm not the only one?

But this is something new, never happened before!

·
Registered
440 Posts
mine used to do the same thing but it only occurred like once or twice a month. after i got a rebuilt tranny i havent seen it since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
new tranny eh? sigh.....:(

I've got 100k and flushed the tranny 3 times.

Maybe I'll get lucky with the Emission system.

mine used to do the same thing but it only occurred like once or twice a month. after i got a rebuilt tranny i havent seen it since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I changed out my Purge, CCV, PCV and the Evap Canister this weekend, Didn't get to the Fuel Filter..

But I am no longer getting the hesitation when I step on it.

Nope, you're not the only one. This just started happening on my car a couple weeks ago, which coincides with the post i put here.

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29988

I wonder if they are related.....

I'm going to change out my Purge, CCV, and fuel filter this weekend, I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I noticed with my SRI on it does rev high at start and you can hear a pronounced Wooshing sound of air being sucked in. BOB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts