Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, this might be my one and only post, but I wanna to say thanks and pass on what I've found for this mod....

The calipers do fit under the factory alloys. (I used Centric 141.46049/50)

The rotor off a 93 Galant S has the same dimensions as the Eclipse except is four lug. (I used Centric 121.46035).

Someone mentioned using Sonata rotors. I don't think this is the best idea. Using Centric's specs (120.50010) these are 2mm thicker 4mm taller and 1.5 lbs heavier.

brake.jpg

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Hi Guys, this might be my one and only post, but I wanna to say thanks and pass on what I've found for this mod....

The calipers do fit under the factory alloys. (I used Centric 141.46049/50)

The rotor off a 93 Galant S has the same dimensions as the Eclipse except is four lug. (I used Centric 121.46035).

Someone mentioned using Sonata rotors. I don't think this is the best idea. Using Centric's specs (120.50010) these are 2mm thicker 4mm taller and 1.5 lbs heavier.

View attachment 33721
Good info, great to know the rotors off a Galant work :) thank you for the information!!

I'm debating getting the 13" Baer's off my Talon re-drilled for 4x114.3 and use them on my silver 05.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I didn't try the Baer's yet, the rotors are quite huge and heavy, and slugging around that weight if not needed isn't a good idea. I installed the Evo/DSM brakes and stainless braided lines on my silver 05 as well, and the stopping power is as sexy as ever. I'm going to be tracking this car, and will post the outcome when I do. If they're adequate I will leave them as is. If they get too hot, I will either do the larger outlander rotors/brackets or throw the massive Baer's on there.

Here are pics.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Na, I'm gonna run them the way they are because they don't cost me anything. They have a tone of life left on them. If I need more brake, I will just upgrade to a bigger setup since it's already got performance pads loaded in there :)

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So dsm calipers bolt on to elantra rotors.?
Read the first post it will explain everything ;)

But no. You need early Evo rotors or re-drilled DSM rotors

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm going to update this like I promised I would.

I took the car to the track and did some lapping. I went out 4 separate times and did 4-5 laps each time, the track is technical but there are also a couple stretches that even the slow n/a Elantra can make it up to about 85-90 mph. The course is 1.9 miles long.

Anyways, the brakes held up great. I still have the stock drums on the back which do a whole lot of nothing, so most of the hard breaking is done by the fronts. After the first run there was some smoke coming from the brakes, but it's what I believe was just the caliper paint burning off as that's the first time they've ever gotten so hot. All the other laps there was no smoke.

I'm using DOT4 fluid and I did not experience any brake fade, or any excessive heat in the brakes even 5 laps (9.5 miles) into it. I think this goes to show how well these can hold up on a much lighter car than they were designed for. If I had the stock Elantra brakes I would've melted them 2 laps in, and wouldn't have had the braking force to brake later just before the turns.

Once I get some things that needed addressed with the car I will head back and do some longer runs with more consecutive laps and see what the outcome is. So far, I am impressed. An 11" brake setup on this car is what 99.99% of us need.

Everybody seriously.... Ditch the stock brakes. These are wicked

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to hear those brakes are working out for you, I just bought another XD and since I need to do the brakes. I mine as well upgrade them, where's the best place to get these calipers and rotors?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Glad to hear those brakes are working out for you, I just bought another XD and since I need to do the brakes. I mine as well upgrade them, where's the best place to get these calipers and rotors?
Another one? So you have two now or just the one? Congratulations on the buy. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Another end-of-racing-season update.

Since the last update I have went to the track some more. I had one caliper stick on me so I ended up buying 2 remanufactured ones through work. I also put in new pads, EBC Greenstuffs. I am still on the same rotors, lines, and DOT 4 brake fluid.

They are truthfully amazing. I sorted all the little things out from the first track day, and I was able to stay on the track for much longer in one session now. 10-15 laps in at once (over 20 miles) of hard, hard driving and braking and not a single problem. I could feel the brakes getting warm near the end, but after half an hour hard on the brakes I can't complain :) And this for the most part is a full weight, daily commuter car.

It's impressive to see a 140hp car with inexpensive brakes, good tires and some coilovers running laps around WRX's, civics, Miatas and brand new 5.0 Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
That's pretty cool. I would love to have seen that in person. I will look into those brakes as it is almost time for new ones for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This was one of the first mods done to my Elantra, best bang for buck mod out there IMO. Calipers from a Galant V6, rotors from a first gen Altima, pads from a 3000GT.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You should. The only regret you will have is regretting you didn't change to these a long time ago :)

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it past 2 laps without boiling and warping the stock brakes.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I am looking into these now. What is the difference between the green stuff, red stuff and yellow stuff?

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How aggressive the pads are. Greenstuffs I find great for the weekend warrior that sees daily driver status without having to swap out pads for the track versus street. They behave great on the street too when they're cold (aka being on the highway for 20 minutes and having to slam on the brakes)

Overall a great pad for most people's needs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't mean to revive this thread but is this a better upgrade compared too some of the upgrades in the DIY section? I really like how these look and I think I want to do it myself. Problem is I can literally not find any rotors from an evo 1 2 or 3. I haven't tried looking for the caliper. Anyone have a website or links to everything I would need to do this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I want to know this too as I am planning on doing this soon. What is the best setup? This setup, or the Tiburon upgrade, or the 12" XG350 upgrade?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts