Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? I know all about the trials and tribulations of the K-spec IM and I'm not going there, but how about freeing up the airflow in the stock IM? Extrude-hone seems to work wonders on some engines I wonder just how much good it would do on the Beta II. What do you say?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Id like to do my head.It my open up the n/a kink we have

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
O_GT said:
Id like to do my head.It my open up the n/a kink we have
The head is the key here... anything done to the intake and exhaust won't matter until the exhaust ports flow better...

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
carbonman said:
oh and you know this how? :)

All hear say is what I say, and untill my head gets back from the Flow Bench No BODY will be able to give a definative answer
Thank you Carbon, so when is it expected back??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good info guys, thanks. I've been mulling over getting a second top-end (head, IM) from AHI out in Cali to mess around with. Maybe do some DIY port matching and such just to see what I can accomplish.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
carbonman said:
oh and you know this how? :)

All hear say is what I say, and untill my head gets back from the Flow Bench No BODY will be able to give a definative answer
I replaced my intake and 2bbl carb, on a 350, with a dual plane manifold and a 4 bbl. The exhaust was single and was replaced with headers, crossover and dual pipes all the way back (73 car, no emissions). The results was pretty good, but not what thought it should be. When I replaced the heads and cam it was finally to a point where I could keep up with some drag racing friends. Then I had to learn how to drive!!! But that's another story...

Going back to the Beta II, header/exhaust has added 3-7 hp and BBTB about the same (some people lost power)? The only thing left to affect the flow is the head.

I think that whatever you find out :bowdown: will dictate what can be done NA on this engine. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What exactly were you having done to your head Carbon? Larger valves, cams, or just a port and polish?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
presently its ONLY being flow bench tested to get a proper assesment of the possible gains and to use as a bench mark against future plans of port&polishing efforts.
Its still there and I know they are very busy guys along with myself so it will still be a ways off yet

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I was looking at the head when i put my headers on. I don't know if just porting the exhaust side will be enough. I mean, the air has to make some strange turns upwards to get out of the head... I think that you would have to actually change the direction of the port to get the most beinfit out of a head job...

I'm not too sure though, since i haven't pulled the head off and REALLY looked at it.

shawn :)

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Sed, that's what Jay was saying about the exhaust port. That bend chokes the exhaust gasses, because they are moving faster there than any other part of the exhaust system. The port has to have a straight run into the header, were the gasses begin cooling and start to slow down.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah, thats exactly why a lot of honda guys use different heads (gsr) on their stock blocks. I am 99% sure that with a strait hone from the exhaust port on the head with a little overlap of the header we would see a significant Hp gain.

shawn :)

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Yeah Sed, but if the water jacket is causing the bend, you can't cut into the coolant passage, so there is no fix. We will need a redesigned head. I won't hold my breath for that to happen any time soon ... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts