Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
F%@ked up my knuckle's ball joint :(

Goddamnit, so pissed.
Just driving around one day in my normal (vroom vroom) way, my car starts to make this moaning noise. I'm like "wtf?" At first I thought it was the weatherstripping, but the noise appears around 15mph, and stays even over 70mph. Then about 3 days later the car started to shake with the moaning. Badly. So badly that 2 of my "4" bolts inside the dash started to COME LOOSE. Then I thought it was just a REALLY BAD tire alignment, but whenever I turned the car slightly to the right, the moaning disappeared. My mechanic had been busy, so fast forward 2 and a half weeks to yesterday. I bring my car in. He test drives it, and after about 30 seconds "The ball joint in your knuckle has to be replaced. I need to order the parts, and if I don't have the correct tool to get the part out, I'm gonna have to send the car to a machine shop to do it."

He doesn't know what I did to the car to %$#@ it up, neither do I....

sigh. 200+ dollars down the drain.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ummmm time for a second opinion my man. Been messing with cars new and old for seventeen years and I never heard that line o BS before. He may have meant "ball joints" which is the articulation point for the front suspension on a car with lower control arms. But even then... Get someone else to look at it, even the dealer before you give that clown a nickle. Just my two pennies

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, he meant ball joints, my bad...heh.
Gotta write this stuff down, ya know?

(edited main post for correct term, don't want other people getting confused so they can feel my pity)

:(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Any mechanic who doesn't have a shop press for removing and installing ball joints ain't much of a mechanic IMHO, take it somewhere else, you'll thank me later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts