Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my in dash monitor and my ps2 last night. Everything is fine. Picture is great. One thing though. I have no sound. I can hear the ps2 faintly through the radio stations and the cd sounds. Wierd thing is, I can't select the AUX option in the menu setup of my factory 622 Kenwood head unit :thumbsdow I have no idea what to do. Somebody help me out here. How do I select the AUX option.
Here is how I have things wired. Monitor: red wire spliced with radio ignition wire, black wire spliced with radio ground. and I have the video 1 hookup with the ps2 video cable.
PS2: red and white cables hooked up to the red and white cables coming out the back of my head unit.
:phone: Help me out please :bowdown:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't remember reading about an AUX input on the back of that headunit in the manual. I'm pretty sure that those are both preouts for amps which means that the sound only comes out not in.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the things I plugged the PS2 sound cables into weren't aux cables, is there an adapter or something I can buy to enable sound?

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could use an FM Modulator, right?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You should have problem with that. Just a little reduced sound quality. Or you could just go buy a head unit that has an AUX input on it already.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have no extra money right now to do that, and I was kinda wanting to keep the Hyundai symbol'd Kenwood HU. I'll go and see how much a FM modulator is.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
black,

your stock HU is fine. it DOES have aux input capability but you need to buy the kenwood CA-C1AUX adapter. it plugs into the 14-pin port and has L/R RCA plugs for your audio in. once you plug the adapter in, the AUX source will show up as an option. whatever you do, DO NOT buy an FM modulator instead. the sound will be horrible.

crutchfield sells these for $20. i used one of these adapters on my kenwood for awhile before i upgraded my deck yet again, and the audio quality was superb through the adapter.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:bowdown: Thank you so much. I was about to just buy another head unit this weekend, which I don't want to do. Thanks again.
southpawboston said:
black,

your stock HU is fine. it DOES have aux input capability but you need to buy the kenwood CA-C1AUX adapter. it plugs into the 14-pin port and has L/R RCA plugs for your audio in. once you plug the adapter in, the AUX source will show up as an option. whatever you do, DO NOT buy an FM modulator instead. the sound will be horrible.

crutchfield sells these for $20. i used one of these adapters on my kenwood for awhile before i upgraded my deck yet again, and the audio quality was superb through the adapter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wonder why it doesn't say anything in the head unit manual about being able to add input to it? I read that thing cover to cover and never read anything about that. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to try this route tonight or tomorrow. I have the DIY for the dash removal (sounds pretty straightforward) and am going to pick up the adapter tonight after work from a local car audio shop. I have an '04 GT and am thinking to locate the cable through the back of the little cubby under the head unit. I have a 1st-Gen 5GB iPod and a 512MB iPod shuffle so I can't do that groovy dock trick with the ashtray, but I can keep the wires tucked out of the way when not in use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Installed the auxilliary input adapter and routed the input through the storage bin directly under the head unit. Really is a no-brainer and the sound is great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts