Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my car to get a DC inspection so I could get my DC plates (and license and crap too). Well in DC you have to go to a government run inspection center (unlike in VA where you can go to various auto shops, gas stations, etc). Because of this I had been putting it off since I still am ricing it out without my fogs wired up (5 years and running I think). Well I finally just went today and they didn't say anything about the fogs, but they failed me because of my tint, which I hadn't even considered at all.

In DC the fronts have to be 70 or above and the rears 50 or above. I have 35 all around (VA was 50 in the front, 35 in the back), and before I could go to a shop that passed me all the time. So basically at 70/50 it's not even worth having it, so I have to take it off. The guy put the little light meter thing on the window to show me and both read 41 (not 35).

Has anyone ever removed tint themselves? Is it as rapeafied as it would seem? Anyone have estimates on removal of the tint from a tint place? I think I asked them about removing the tint on the rear window once and they said that one window alone would be $75 to remove the tint.

Aaahhhh, big city living... poop.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Shew, that sucks balls.

Its gonna be a ***** to take it all off. Ive never done it before, but I can imagine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've done it, it's a ***** but it's manageable. The worst for me was the rear glass since it at such an angle and it's just an all around pain to get in there.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I had to peel the tint from the side windows of my Z28, PITA. I used a razor/scraper and some soapy water. There will be a lot of glue left, so glue-gone is required too.

I think there is some spray you can apply that begins to dissolve the tint and makes it easier to remove, but I've never used it. Also, razor/scraper + rear window defrost wires = recipe for fail.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
actually, seems like it shud be pretty easy. get a razor blade, or one of those window bladesn, cut the tint up into pieces, and peel away, then scrape off all the glue that will b left over.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
You can use 000 steel wool for the rear windows to get the glue off. The other windows use a razor on. Make sure you mix a bottle of dish soap (dawn seems to work the best for me) and keep the windows moist/wet when taking off the glue.

Good luck.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Use ammonia...that's what professional shops use.

·
Registered
667 Posts
OT, but it's a fine example of the balance we try to strike between liberty and regulations "for your own good"

In India your car wouldn't need an exhaust pipe, in US you get dinged if the exhaust is too impure.

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
you just got your sack beat in
course pa (copys say) is no tint period.. but the laws are written diff

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
OT, but it's a fine example of the balance we try to strike between liberty and regulations "for your own good"

In India your car wouldn't need an exhaust pipe, in US you get dinged if the exhaust is too impure.

Oh well.
Just cant help yourself can you?

No exhaust and no tint laws in SC.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
thow some TV's in the back and a mini fridge!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
that sucks james ah the memories of virginia and inspection rules

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts