Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Filling up gas tank problems (charcoal canister)

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  AarBee 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 hyundai elantra gls and every time a try to fill up tank it triggers the nozzle at the pump and it would take from 5 to 10 minutes to fill up tank. Any ideas please???????

#4 · (Edited)
Re: Filling up gas tank

sorry.....i'll do one better...

here are the diagrams! and a pic of where the canister is located. 2 12mm nuts hold the plastic cover on. there are a couple of hoses that you will need to clean out and probably have to replace the canister close valve. sorry so hasty...

for whatever reason...failbucket is flipping it at the site but the linked pic is not flipped...sorry.

#7 ·
I had same issue before, all i did was remove the canister and shock it up a bit and then reinstalled it. has not given me any issues since then.
not saying this will fix you gas fill up issues but it worked for me.

#9 ·
Re: Filling up gas tank

only1db,
Thanks for your posts. I had this problem and while surfing the web, I reached this webpage. It was very helpful in understanding and fixing the problem. I had charcoal pellets clogging that 1/2 inch hose coming out from the charcoal canister. I removed the canister and emptied the pellets until they stopped coming out. Now I can fill the tank without problems but now I have another concern. I live in CA and I need to get the smog check done. Will it fail the smog check now? :( I was looking and it seems canister is quite expensive part! Any suggestions?

regards
AarBee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.