Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like the fuller look. What kind of tires did you get?

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Good choice for tires man. I've said it all along, 215/45-17 is the way to go. :thumbsup: I'm going to have to try those Yokohama's at some point.

·
Romans 8:28
266 Posts
Nice... your car sits a little higher, but I like how it fills the gap more... I just wish my tires would wear out so I could buy a set of those soon. I've been wanting an excuse for the longest time.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
Ding ding ding... you got it... I love them. So far they've been on the car for a total of 30 miles, but they are great.

And thanks Super for fixing the title.
I also got them too in the same size. They are so much better than the stock Michelin MXV4's. But the tires are in different categories so I can't really compare the two. So far for me the ride hasn't been as harsh as I thought it would be after switching from the stock 15 inchers to the 17's. In fact it feels not very much different from stock.

I think I'm rubbing though in the back if I have someone else in the car with me. These are my first plus size tires so I'm not sure what the "rubbing" is supposed to sound like? Is it very loud or does it just sound like stuff moving around in the trunk after you go over a bump?

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
It's hard to describe, but it sounds like the tire hitting the fender and spinning along it for a fraction of a second. It's usually pretty obvious and it usually only happens when entering/exiting parking lots, going over railroad tracks or any other large bump you can think of. It has only happened in my car once when entering a parking lot too fast.

Oh, and the wheel offset has a lot to do with it. That's why everyone always says you need to get 40-45mm wheel offset for the XD, you have to avoid contact with that fender.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
SWortham said:
It's hard to describe, but it sounds like the tire hitting the fender and spinning along it for a fraction of a second. It's usually pretty obvious and it usually only happens when entering/exiting parking lots, going over railroad tracks or any other large bump you can think of. It has only happened in my car once when entering a parking lot too fast.

Oh, and the wheel offset has a lot to do with it. That's why everyone always says you need to get 40-45mm wheel offset for the XD, you have to avoid contact with that fender.
I tried to stay as close to possible at +43 offset, but the width of my rims are also 7.5". I'm gonna try to take it back to the same place that installed it and have the guy roll my fenders. Hopefully it won't rub at all after that. If it still rubs constantly while I have someone else in my car, next time I guess I'll just have to go with the 205-45's.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
BlackElantraGT said:
I tried to stay as close to possible at +43 offset, but the width of my rims are also 7.5".
Yeah, the width is your problem. Apparently several people have been able to install 7.5" wide wheels without rubbing problems, but I just know it's gotta be a very tight fit. You may just have to use a smaller tire in that case.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I think that's for a Tiburon though so the clearances should be different. And I can't quite figure out why turbulence was saying what he was saying because a 7.5" rim w/ +33mm offset will stick out 15mm more than a 7" wide rim at +42mm offset. It doesn't make sense that those two sizes were compared because usually you'd want to find the offset that will put the wheel's outer edge as close to flush as possible without rubbing the fender. Anyway that thread was confusing.

Check this out:
http://www.mindspring.com/~toy4two/offset.html

I think your offset is almost spot on for the XD. +45mm might have even worked better. But you can probably solve the problem with 205/45's or by rolling the inner lip of the fenders. Personally, I'd roll the fenders because it's easy to do and you can't even tell that they were touched from outside the car. You can pry the lip upward using something like a baseball bat and a towel, or a rubber mallet, something that won't damage the paint. I don't know, just an idea.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SWortham said:
Good choice for tires man. I've said it all along, 215/45-17 is the way to go. :thumbsup: I'm going to have to try those Yokohama's at some point.
For all of you thinking about going to these tires, if you do make sure you take them to a very experienced shop to have them put on. The inner bead diameter on these is a little smaller than most 17's. They guys around here had hell getting them to seat. They finally brought in someone who is experienced with 20 inch + wheels, and he got them on. Just a warning.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
For all of you thinking about going to these tires, if you do make sure you take them to a very experienced shop to have them put on. The inner bead diameter on these is a little smaller than most 17's. They guys around here had hell getting them to seat. They finally brought in someone who is experienced with 20 inch + wheels, and he got them on. Just a warning.
I hope they didn't mess up your rims. I don't trust taking my rims to these regular tire shops now. The place I went to use sticky weights on the inside of the rim. My stock rims were all jacked up by Costco installers each time they balanced my tires.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got some 245/40-17's on mine :tongue:
They ride great too!
But I think I might switch to a 315/35-17 in the near future.
I want this look, see:

Sorry, didn't mean to whore and get

Your XD looks great, keep up the good work :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts