Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. but remeber that all 100% synthetic oil is made from two places, they are man made and not mineral based. the primary difference is what types of additives they add to the oil. Depending on your driving habits and the type of driving you do, that is highway, city, strip or track will determine the best oil for you. personally i use motul 8100 5w30 but am considering switching to bardahl or valvoline 100% synthetic oils. you also have royal purple, redline, amsoil and agip oils to choose from, don't narrow it down to mobil 1. try not to exceed 4000 miles with your oem oil filter.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I've heard many good things about Royal Purple products. I plan to switch over to them next weekend. They make engine oil, tranny fluid, stuff for your manual trans and diff...damn near everything. Even radiator additive. Their products are expensive though, but well worth it from what I understand.

Right now, my car has almost 9,000 miles on it, and I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles using Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Fram Xtra Guard filter.

Axel

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
First of all... don't change the oil the first time untill 3500 mi. The oil they use from the factory has no detergents and a lot of additives to help seat the rings and bearings. It is very important to let it go the full 3500. After that I started right away with Mobil 1. It is a vey good oil, and using the factory filter is a very good idea. As for Royal Purple, it is an extremely good oil, but also hard to find and about 9 dollars a quart. As long as you are religious about changing the oil, you will be just fine.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I use Mobil 1 also. There is no reason to change your oil 2 or 3 times in the first 3000 miles. You are just wasting money!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked the oil in my 2005 GLS saturday and it showed over full by a considerable amount. The dealer is the only one who has changed the oil and I've never added any. Is this something to worry about?

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Yep. It can lead to frothing of the oil, and it won't lubricate sufficiently. Have them correct the level.
And Sam, if you need any help, I'm only a few hours up the road...

·
-
471 Posts
jwoair23 said:
Hey everyone, I am just about to hit 1,000 miles on my Elantra, and wanted to ask all of your opinion's on changing my oil. Here is my plan Ive decided on, tell me if this is good or bad:

1. At 1,000 miles change oil and use Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic Blend and a Purulator PureOne (the more expensive one) filter.
The manual specifies the first change at 3500 miles. If it needed to be changed sooner, Hyundai would tell you to do so. I don't see any point in using synthetic blend oil. There's no need to "ease into" using full synthetic oil, if that's what you were thinking.

2. At 4,000 miles change oil to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and use OEM oil filters (I'll get up to my dealer by then).
Just change it the first time at 3500 and go directly to the full synthetic oil of your choice. The Pure One filter is fine, but if OEM filters make you feel better, use them.

3. Change oil every 4-5,000 miles using only Mobil 1 synthetic oil from this point on.
Changing the oil any more frequently than the 7500 miles that Hyundai recommends is an unnecessary waste of oil and money, especially since you're using synthetic oil.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Bnystrom said:
Changing the oil any more frequently than the 7500 miles that Hyundai recommends is an unnecessary waste of oil and money, especially since you're using synthetic oil.
You've made this statement constantly and you're pushing your own stubborn beliefs on novices!!! 99% of the driving falls under severe conditions (which is 3 K miles or 3 months)!!! So Hyundai is going to tell you "no proof of maintenance, no warranty"!!! You seriously want these people to go to battle AND lose the engine warranty???

If someone has to ask of the oil change frequency, they have to follow the 3 K or 3 month schedule, until they know and feel comfortable enough to extend the frequency. I change the oil 3rd week of every odd month (2 months) which is around 7 K miles. After 60 K I will go to 3 month/10 K schedule and I change the oil in my 90 Mazda B2600 once a year, but I've decided to take the risk ON MY OWN!!!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
^^^

True, until the warranty is over, change the oil every 3K miles or 3 months (first one to come), else, if you need engine repair under warranty, you'll be screwed! the repair under warranty WILL be refused due to lack of maintnance (oil change at every 7k miles is not what is recommended) ... unfortunately regular daily driving goes under the "severe conditions" ...
Severe conditions include:
- Cold weather.
- Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving.
- Driving less than 8 kms per trip, or in freezing temperatures driving less than 16 km per trip.
- Driving in extremely hot (over 32 C) conditions.
- Trailer towing, driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions.
- Driving on muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads
now with this Bnystrom you really think you drive in normal conditions ???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bnystrom said:
The manual specifies the first change at 3500 miles. If it needed to be changed sooner, Hyundai would tell you to do so. I don't see any point in using synthetic blend oil. There's no need to "ease into" using full synthetic oil, if that's what you were thinking.

Just change it the first time at 3500 and go directly to the full synthetic oil of your choice. The Pure One filter is fine, but if OEM filters make you feel better, use them.

My 06 GT manual states 12000Km i think that is roughly 7500miles.

unless i am mistaken, i have not seen any severe driving condition change at 6000km anymore. I was surprised to see this. (use to have the 05 VE that had the manual state the recommendation to change every 6000km under severe driving condition). HOWEVER, dealer still recommends 6000km Spent a lot of time in BITOG. UOA shows that most dino oil can handle 12000km, and synthetic obviously would do a way better job (again check BITOG).

Base on my reading, OCI is best determined by UOA. But since the vehicle is under warranty, its best one follow the dealership's recommendation on Oil changes (and service) to prevent hassles in the future. But i agree with Bynstorm, changing more than you should is just a waste of money especially if you are using synthetic. Might as well stick with dino. :)

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Look at the manual again, because it shows up after the schedule matrix where it says 7.5 K miles for the oil change. It's the in 05 manual and I have my 03 manual in front of me and it's page 5-5. 3 K miles or 3 months for severe usage schedule.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yes i know where it is.

I had an 05 before (and it has severe driving recommendations). Now i have an 06. I doubled check the last time I looked. I still think i might have missed it. and will check for everyone again.

Either ways, I dont fall under severe. and i use synthetic. So will stick with the Normal driving condition. I can understand why people are hesitant to follow this. Cuz you know what... i am as well. who knows... i might change my mind and do a 6000km oil change instead. But for now i am comfortable in going as long as 10000km and not the 12000km on synthetic.

EDIT: to the original poster and to everyone else who might be intrested in engine oils. i suggest checking out bobistheoilguy.com

the oil guru's in this forum suggested this site and i found lots of useful information. Then base your decision from there. Its your car so the final say is yours.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
^^^

well, unless you live in an Ontario I don't know of, you DO fall under severe driving condition (at least 5 months a year!)

Severe conditions include:
- Cold weather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had struggles with the severe driving conditions as well. believe me, but months of research here, and bitog changed my mind. oh and by the way jalmir i live in the ontario that you know lol... :bowdown: my mistake i do fall under severe because of that.

regardless,

If i was using regualr dino oil. Yes i would change my oil every 6000km. but like i said after reading the UOAs, synthetic shows alot of life left even beyond the extended OCI. Not only because of the oil molecules itself, but becaues of the additives. Let the oil guru's correct me if i am wrong. the way i understand it is that during cold weather there is condensation in the engine, and oil is broken down faster (oxidation, sludge, etc). thus it is prudent to change oil frequently, especially if one is using a dino. but again, synthetics have a better additive package than dinos.
please note that:
I am not recommending anyone to go against their dealers suggestion. I am only saying that 12000km is possible with a dino, and will be moreso with a synthetic. I agree with Bynstrom, just like i agree with those who think 6000km is a good oci. I am simply stating that its possible with synthetics to go that far. and if you are going to change synthetics every 6000km, save your money and buy a good quality dino instead. :)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
^^^

Agree, 7k miles is possible but it surelly not a thing to do when the car is still under dealer warranty!

After that the final descision is in the hands of the car owner!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
No matter what kind of driving I do, I always use Valvoline oil (5W-30 in the Elantra) ... just the regular mineral/dino oil and I change every 5,000 miles. If you plan on keeping your car for any less than 150,000 miles, it's a total waste of time, money, and resources to change your oil any more often or to bother using a synthetic or a synthetic blend.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I still prefer to change the oil every 3000, regardless of the oil type. Remember, changing the oil serves 2 purposes - one is the obvious fact that as oil is used, it's lubricating ability is reduced (which is also why people use synthetics - longer lubricating life). The second, however, is to get all the dirt and junk out of your engine that is built up in the oil. Running 2x as long on a longer-life oil, means you're leaving all that crap in your engine for a longer period (also allowing more to build up).

That's the main reason I've never gone synthetic - I'd change at 3000 anyway, so why spend the money on long-life oil?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts