Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got my Fog LIghts on. I mounted them myself, but wasn't very confident about my wiring skills so I took it to some pros. After having the car for about 6 hours they call and say that they have to have a wiring harness so that when the high beams are on the fog lights turn off. He said he could wire it without the harness , but if they dont cut off when HB's are on it wont pass inspection, but I went ahead and told him to wire it in without the harness. I dont think this sounds right, have any of you had problems getting yours inpected if they dont turn of when HB's are on. :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
ruahighlander said:
Sorry but I have to disagree. I have the fogs all wired up now and when the lows are on the fogs, but when I kick on the highs the fogs are off. :D I appreciate the help though.
What he's saying is the low beams remain lit when you turn on the high beams (I always thought they did anyway). Thus, if you use the low beams as your supply power, they will not turn off (and nor will the fogs) when you hit the highs.

I don't think that's a big deal though. The more light the better IMO. My fogs are relayed into the sidemarker, with the ground for the relay on a switch on the dash. That way I can turn on the headlights without fogs if I want; fogs and parking lights with no headlights; headlights and fogs; or headlights, fogs & highbeams all at once.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What in the H-E-L-L is going on with Hampton Roads VA Beach in terms of modified vehicles? It seems like everyone who lives down there has trouble in some form or another. Be it VA Beach with the cops or this poor guy with the fogs failing inspection. I've had my foglights for three years and I've never seen them turned on at all during safety inspection! :wtf: Of course I had some idiot in Prince William County try to tell me that the Grant wheel I put in my 94 Excel was illegal because it eliminated the airbags but oh well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm not sure if there is a different circuit or something for the low beam and the high beam, but I have my fogs hooked to the low beams according to the guy who installed. So now when my lows are on my fogs come on with them, but when my highs are on the fogs go out, dont ask how, I have no idea. I noticed that when I switch from high to low, all the lights go out for a split second, so maybe there is where its switching to a new circuit???? :confused: I agree about the cops and stuff though, these piggies down here are crazy. My friend was recently pulled over for having a banner on his front window, the cop said its illegal to "modify your car in any way". What a crackhead! :mad: My friend didnt get a ticket just a warning, but he took it off anyway, he was kinda pissed for a little while cause he lost 5HP without the banner :eek: . Anyway thx for all the responses guys :D.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be , I have no idea. Another thing though was that I had already installed a switch into one of the blanks to the left of teh wheel for the lights. However, when the guy installed them he said that there wasnt an opening in the firewall to the run the wires through. I know this has to be :bs:, but to be honest i dont know where the opening is, any ideas?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
There is no hole in the firewall at all. The only access is through the main wiring harness grommet in the center of the firewall. I had to cut all the way through the grommet to run the wiring for my amplifier. It took me a total of an hour to decide to do this as I hate messing with a factory grommet. I tried to find places to drill a hole, but none looked suitable. So, the guy that told you that was not full of :bs: .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts