Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 03 ElantraXD and my insurance was $291 a MONTH :eek: but was able to get it down to $268 I wish i was as old as the other members being 19 is lame! Unlike all my firends my car isnt 10 years old and my parents didnt pay for it, but this is too expensive. :mad: They are all shocked that my insurance is soo much but they dont have FULL coverage....do people really steal our cars alot? I thought they go for cars with straight H's on them!

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have State Farm but because of my $250 deduct for collision and comprehensive that doubles my insurance. If I drove w/o insurance I could pay my car off in 9 Months but now its lookin like 2 years!

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
That's pretty normal for the XD at your age. And unfortunately you need full coverage as long as your loan provider is the lein holder -- they have to protect their investment. I have State farm too and my insurance was about $280/month for full coverage, and then when I turned 21 it went down to $175. And when you finally pay off your loan, you can switch your insurance to liability only and save a lot more. ;)

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
Hmm... I'm 19 with a 01 Elantra(Without ABS or T/C) and have had 1 accident and 3 tickets(Only got points for 1)... I'm paying about $150 a month with full coverage... my bro is 17 with an 01 Elantra(Without ABS or T/C) 1 accident(that resulted in a his last 01 Elantra being totalled... since we're on the same plan we take the total amount of our insurance for both our Elantras and cut it in half... so roughly $150 each for full coverage on both... :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
god damn RabidDogBoy, how'd u swing that?

I'm 18 w/ a new 04 elantra gt. Second car (First was a 92 nissan Stanza, which I donated to charity), and I'm paying about 260 and change a month.

No accidents, only 1 speeding ticket (err.. well, for 90 in a 45, but got reduced to a broken tail light)

Thankfully, mine should be dropping soon, as after 3 years of driving, my insurance carrier considers me an "experienced driver."

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
I've been driving for 3 years, me and my bro took Driver's Ed and passed with a B or something and we got a "Good Student Discount" which saved us like $50-$70 a month.

EDIT: My insurance is supposed to drop again when I tell the company I have an Anti-Theft device on my car since I rehooked up the factory alarm resently... also my bro got a "moving violation" yesterday instead of a speeding ticket so don't know what affect that will have yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
See if you can increase your deductable to $500 and are you on your own ins or you parents. that makes a differnce as well.. drop all the petty shit like funeral and rental cars etc will save you some and go the min that you have to carry on uninsured and underinsured etc etc.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
insurance payments fluctuate depending on where you live, how old you are, how long you have been driving, and what OPTIONS you have on your car. not neccessarily JUST the type of car.

for instance the elantra gt carries a rate similar to a mercedes benz or BMW because of two reasons. . . the high chance of you becoming "one with your car" in case of a major accident (which sadly isnt difficult in our cars) and two because of the options such as alloy wheels,leather,sunroof,side impact airbags etc. oh and lets not forget the once red now pink GT emblem on the back. the other things would be where you live . . for instance if you live in miami your insurance is higher since you have a pretty high chance of hitting a guy driving a 1976 chevy malibu who's previous driving experience included two planks of old plywood and a mack truck left front inner tube. if you live on mayberry drive you might get hit by Mrs. Belinda S. Abat who's years of driving have been going up but sadly her head clearance over the steering wheel going down. so if you live out in the boonies you might never hit anything so its cheaper. . .
the age thing, varies a little but usually at 21 it drops a little and a lot for girls . . at 25 it matches a womans rate for guys and after that ill let you know cause i havent gotten there yet. insurance under 18 . . . take the bus . . .i think that covers it . . ? i dont know go away lol im nuts right now my mom is down my throat about something or other . . she just sounds like the teacher on snoppy right now . . . living with your parents again sucks a major turnip! gotta save up for my cardboard box !

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I have State Farm Insurance in central Pennsylvania, and on my 01 Elantra I pay about $95/mo (although we just added an 04 Accent, which is another $84/mo) When I first got the car, I think my insurance was still only $150 or so. I have zero accidents, no points on my license, and I was a 20 year old single male when I bought it. Now I'm 24 and married, still have no points or accidents.

Don't forget to take off things like "towing" since Hyundai covers that for 5 years (if you're the original owner).

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
I'm 24 and I live in Southern California. I have a perfect driving record but my insurance is still pretty high. It used to be around $250 per month, but lately through Mercury insurance it's been around $180, which to me is still high. I drive a GT hatchback, stickshift. I can't wait to turn 25!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts