Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't have a brand name, but comes with 10 year warranty. I think it is made in China. The price is half the cost of KYB. I would try KYB, but it is made in Malaysia.

·
im still a junior member?
261 Posts
The look like no name china parts to me. If u want stock type replacement then get some oe spectrums from monroe for about 50 each. That 10 year warranty is prolly BS anyhow.
oh and as for KYB, they are Japanese by design, they prolly just have an off shore facility in Malaysia. Kyb are good struts.
another good stock replacement is Auto 7... that goes for any part for our cars really

Dont get me wrong tho, I have my fare share of Chinese parts :)
But struts are a lil more important to me, id buy a good name brand

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all Chinese parts are bad. iphons, ipods are made in China. Chinese technology is superior to the US in some areas. Chinese firms launch satellites for AT&T and Sprint and even DoD satellites. Chinese make world's fastest bullet trains. Now China's GDP surpassed the US. Sadly, the US is No. 2.

·
261 Posts
Ok, then you be the guinea pig lol. I would spend the lil extra and get name brand parts. Suspension is an area you dont cheap on, especially on the dampers.
C'mon... you gunna trust your life on $25 dollar struts? What if the piston shoots threw the casing cuz it isn't centered properly cuz a 12 year old in a sweat shop didnt care to balance it properly?
I know Chinese parts have come a long way, but I know when it comes to keeping a vehicle on the road safely, I dont buy the 10 dollar "economy" ball joint, etc.
But hey, try them out and let us know how they do:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I agree with boostcreep. Maybe you go with the cheap cell phone cover made in China because you don't want to spend $50 for an Otter Box, but when it comes to certain parts on your car like the struts, buy a good brand or a brand you know and trust. It will cost more, but the peace of mind that comes with it, the known quality of the product, and most likely some real warranty of some kind will be worth it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for advice. I will take it into consideration. My car doesn't clunk or vibrate yet, but it's just old. That's it. I was thinking to replace them while I will be replacing the axle this weekend because everything will be taken apart already and it's easy to replace struts at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I will play the devil's advocate here.....I actually purchased these and put them on my car about 5 months ago (I did front and rear). They have held up pretty well. I will say that the suspension will feel "tighter" with the KYB, but for economical usage, these are not too bad. If you are going to replace the fronts, you should also replace the back ones too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mean you replaced your struts with Chinese made? I already replaced rear struts with KYB last year, so this time I need for the front. I am not sure they are still good or not because I don't see oil leak and my car doesn't clunk or vibrate.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
yes, oem fit, did not have to change anything

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
No, I am not going to lower springs. I want to use OEM stock struts and springs, quick install or I have to compress. I already have spring compressor, so I don't have a problem compressing them. Once again, Do I have to replace springs even though they are not broken?

·
261 Posts
Sorry, that was meant for rckozma lol.
I was wondering if he used them with lowering springs.
And with your mileage I would just get full replacements.
Springs sag and lose some rate over time, and the top dampers are probably dry rotted and cracked.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Yes, I am lowered....I am using Apex springs....

·
261 Posts
Nice! Cheap alternative to kybs.
How low are you and hows the ride?

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts