Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to replace front wheel bearing, but I have a few questions.
How many wheel bearings does a wheel have? I searched on the web and there are conflicting information.
Are there wheel bearings on the hub and another one on the knuckle in Elantra? I see some cars have wheel bearings on the hub and others on the knuckle. Do I need to remove the knuckle to change the wheel bearings? Do I have to bring the entire hub and knuckle unit to a machine shop to pres-out the old one and press-in the new wheel bearings? Is there any way I can do it with basic hand tools?
Finally, my driver side wheel bearing seems to be bad because it has whirling and grinding noise at high speed. Some mechanics say that I have to replace both sides of wheel bearings even though only one side is bad. Is it true?
Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Theres 1 wheel bearing in each knuckle. The hub is on the knuckle connected & yes you do need to remove the knuckle to press out new bearing & insert new bearing

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What about this wheel bearing hub assembly? The wheel bearing is integrated with the hub from the factory. How do I install it? They say that this fit for my 2003 Elantra GLS.
Rim Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much kwk39018. I already ordered, but I was able to cancel it just before they ship.
Do I need to replace the hub when I change the wheel bearing? I saw some cars have integrated wheel bearing and hub assembly and you don't need to remove the knuckle.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yup thats rear & nope you wouldnt need too unless its beat n abused, if you been driving for a while with a bad wheel bearing like I have & you do need to remove the knuckle.
You gotta remove caliper, balljoint, outer tie rod, axle nut, rotor & both oem camber bolts to get that knuckle released. Take the knuckle get the wheel bearing pressed out & get the new one pressed in at a shop. Hope it helps you to get an idea

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the link was broken. Anyway I don't want to buy any special tools. I am fed up.
By the way, how may hours did it take for you to finish the job? A mechanic says that I have to change both sides of wheel bearings even though only one side is bad. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah idk if it discontinued. Probably 30-45 mins i got helped from a friend he had his own shop & had its own machine, tools etc.. he helped me & didnt charge me a penny & im sure he told you that to either to do more labor for more pay or so the bearing will be equivalent used brand new I only changed one side & I havent changed my passeger bearing side since I got the car which is two years ago. Im sure you can do bad side & be fine

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well my mechanic friend charges 20$ if you bring the knuckle itself im sure more they do labor to remove it from the vehicle

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone at Infinity forum has same symptoms as I have: clicking noise when the wheel turns. They suggested that I should check the tire by pulling it at 12 o'clock - 6 o'clock position and 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock position to see if there is any play. If there is a play,they say that it could be wheel bearing problem. Mine has no play, but only one click every half turn. If there is no play, they say that possibly brake hardware may be sticking out and hitting the wheel. I recently changed the brake pads and I need to take apart the brake parts and check if anything is abnormal.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
O.K. Thanks Mr Elantra. I will have time to check this Wednesday. The noise is not like helicopter noise as some people describe bad wheel bearing symptoms. It's like rattling and a little whirling at high speed from the wheel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
danielelee, do you have antilock brakes?
If you do, check to make sure there isn't anything attached to the sensor that is then rubbing on the teeth. I had some metal the attached to the magnet and was just barely touching. It made a whirring sound.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I already ordered a new wheel bearing and reviewed YouTube video how to change wheel bearing, but I was overwhelmed by the complicated procedure. Also, I was hesitant to buy new wheel bearing tool. At this time I decided not to change it because the noise is not bad. I am going to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts