Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! It's one of the new guys. I noticed my XD2 is getting around 24.3 - 25.5 on the MPG gauge in the car (No idea how accurate this is). The way I understand it I should be getting closer to 28-30, and I'd like to reclaim those lost MPG. I was at the dealership yesterday picking up OEM oil filter and ask them. They said something about my fuel lines may have build up and I'd need fuel induction service to do so. Another guy recommended I run fuel injector cleaner I believe and that would do the trick. But the Fuel Induction service is on the recommended list. Now I dunno if the previous owners did it at the 30k mark. So what do you all think?

:confused:

Jason

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
if the "fuel induction service" is anything like what we perform at my dealership, its a complete waste of money. all we do is pour additive into your gastank and have you drive the car. save a ton of money and do that yourself at an autoparts store

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
You live in DC. You're not going to get great gas mileage. You are actually getting better mileage than i'm getting in L.A.
It's not the car, it's the driving. I still get 36mpg if I take a freeway only trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i live just outside dc and manage to avoid most traffic. Still I have stop lights and the like, but not the stop and go. I took a recent trip to TN. I drove it for 6 hrs and it never peaked over 25.5. Thats what made me wonder. I mean most of the time I'm able to keep it around 35-50mph with out stop and go. I mean at this point my 1995 Toyota Celica GT was pushing better gas mileage, now it also was manual and I hear that helps.

So the induction service does do a few things more then an additive. At least that's what they explained at Hyundai, but maybe I should start with the gas treatment first? I don't mind doing it. Just didn't know if I could perform this or there was some other suggestions.

BTW, Thank you for all your information. I really appreciate it.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Have you checked your tire pressure? How often do you change your oil?
Your MPG gauge didn't top 25.5 because it's a running average. Fill up your tank, drive, fill up the tank again, and divide the miles driven by the number of gallons used.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
**** I bearly get 25MPG in my elantra in PHX cause we have a stop light every 1/4 mile! ****ing PHX!

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i totally switch to non ethanol gas and i picked up easily 4 mpgs! went from avg 29-30 to 33-34 and thats the same kind of driving.

not to mention it idles alot smoother....

i do an induction on my car every 30k....no carbon build up is a good thing.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
How the hell did you manage that Derek? All the oil companies are putting 10% ethanol in their tanks...unless you are filling up at Sunoco, but even some of their stations, at least up north, have ethanol in it.

There's a variety of factors that are involved with MPG: alignment, tire pressure, dirty spark plugs, dirty air filter, need of a fuel injection treatment, etc.

NEVER rely on the Hyundai computer that displays the MPGs in the instrument cluster. It's off by at least 4mpg for city driving. About 3 mpg off for highway.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Mine has always been dead on if I use it tank for tank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How the hell did you manage that Derek? All the oil companies are putting 10% ethanol in their tanks...unless you are filling up at Sunoco, but even some of their stations, at least up north, have ethanol in it.

There's a variety of factors that are involved with MPG: alignment, tire pressure, dirty spark plugs, dirty air filter, need of a fuel injection treatment, etc.

NEVER rely on the Hyundai computer that displays the MPGs in the instrument cluster. It's off by at least 4mpg for city driving. About 3 mpg off for highway.

I'd also like to know how you got ethanol free gas.

OP, if you can get to a walmart, with a tire center, they do the injection service for 20 bucks. Supposed to be the three stage service as mentioned above.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Yes. Pushing down on the gas pedal will help you pass 20 mph.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
hahah

there is a gas station in melbourne that has non ethanol gas...its like paying for premium though and its 90 oct....but when i get 430 miles to a tank with 12.75 gallons...i'm still deciding wether its worth it or not....maybe as an occasional thing. but it definetly runs better with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah in TN where my grandfather lives there's non ethanol all over the place. Any place with boats should have non ethanol because majority of boats can't handle it yet.

I do have 10% mixture. Oh my tires which should keep 30PSI I have one on the front right that drops to 27-28 and I dunno why. Working that out because the tires are in great shape. As for spark plugs I think I'm going to get the induction service and have them check the spark plugs unless you think I can do that on my own. Also I'm switching to synthetic. Would 0w-30 Mobile one be ok?

I want to get at least 28mpg out of my car. Per tank it's been around 408 miles. I drive from F-E every time. I don't like leaving old gas in the tank.

Oh and yeah just keep pushing down the pedal and take it out of Lower gear and you should be fine Jimbo.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
um....with my calcs....410 miles per tank is like 32 (if 14 gallons used its 29.xx) if 12.5 (usually what it ends up being when i fill up its 32.8)

so your not doing to bad....how are you doing your calcs?

btw my mpg computer is dead nuts when i zero it out and on oem sized tires.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Miles driven divided by gallons used. So simple, but yet so many have no clue how to do just that. I average 350-400miles/tank and fill between 11-12 gallons most times. I'm averaging to and from work about 32-34mpg most tanks. I drive it like I stole it most days.. when I'm being good, I see 34-36mpg. When the wife drives it she sees 35.

Remember your trip gauge mpg reader thingy is dong an AVERAGE over the life of the car. If you were truly only getting 24mpg you wouldn't see 300 miles on a tank.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts