Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, I hate to say this but if power was a concern, you should not have gone with duals. A single exhaust would have been much better.

Now, that being said, yes dropping the pipe diameter after the split will help.
The way you have it now, your piping has an area of about 15.9" and when it flows into duals of the same size, that doubles.

A little geometry (rounding numbers to the nearest 100th)
2.25" pipe has an area of 15.9"
Two 1.75" pipes have a combined area of 19.23"
Two 1.5" pipes have a combined area of 14.13"

Since there realy isn't anything inbetween, it is kind of a tough call on weather to go a little over or a little under but I would tend to believe a little under would be better. Not 100% sure on that and maybe somebody could shed some more light on it but I do know keeping 2.25" pipes after the split is way too much.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah but I think his problem is the larger pipes after the split. Since at that point, the air is no longer being pushed especially at lower RPMs, it feeds back into itself creating more back preasure. It isn't as noticeable at higher RPMs because more air is being pushed out and therefore less air has a chance to feed back.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bnystrom said:
The formula for area of a circle is pi x the RADIUS squared, not the DIAMETER.
Grrr, you're right.

It has been so long since I have used geometry. LOL
I actually did quite well in it (A's) but after almost 15 years of not using it, the formulas tend to escape me. LOL :D

Well, if the choices are 1.5" or 1.75", I would still go with 1.5"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.