Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 2001 hyundai elantra, and im trying to run 1/0 guage through the firewall. i found the little black box thing in the engine compartment, but i cannot find the 3 10mm nuts. any1 got help/suggestions/pics? thanks

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
I didn't go that route, I looked and it looks like those 3 nuts are a pain to get to. Plus the wire is going to be completely obvious that it's been added.

I drilled a hole through the firewall in the bottom corner behind the sound deadener. Wires can run along the frame, and it looks factory.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is that the area behind the brake booster? I have no sound deadener there, just empty space and I was considering putting mine through there but I'm not sure what's on the other side (in the passenger compartment). Do you have a pic of where it comes out in the cabin? My mechanic today told me that it would be best to remove the inner fender and go through that area. Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah more pix please! I busted my ish today trying to find a place to go thru. And did u just use a regular drill?

Okay I know where that is. Does it come out behind the Dash? And how did u take the deadener off for the mean time?

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
i saw alot of threads like this so i just drilled a new hole. it seemed like a hassle going through the fender wall, and some people had wire exposed to elements. a

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
stinger wire FTW :D
i have 4g rated @ 150a. which is a 2g power rating. They also make 2g rated at 1/0 specs.

its nice to be able to run thinner wire but know your carrying the power you need.
you definitely pay for it though, even on ebay the stinger stuff was a bit more $ for the lines with the highest power rating.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So how about them pics, Matt? I took another look and that seems to be the best place but I want to know what is on the other side before I start drilling. Thanks!

PS. I do have the sound deadening but a chunk of it is missing.

Edit:

Is this the same place? His pics are from an auto '05 and it looks like he went through the clutch cover:

http://www.elantraclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19671&view=findpost&p=239950

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
yes. rocket. thats exactly it. its easier if u have an automatic. but if u have a 5spd. u need to adjust where u drill so u dont hit the clutch pedal. other wise, for any automatics, drill right there. easy as pie!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I probably will be this weekend
Same here. I'm going use a smaller bit before the big half-incher, though, just to be on the safe side. (Need a big hole to pass the fb8 bushing through.)

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Yes, that's about the same spot, mine is lower and more right. The fartest right and lowest it could go.

I drilled from the engine bay in-wards. Most people drill from inside out, that's why they choose that spot. It was easiest to find inside the car and easy to know it was clear.

I'm more risky to make it look neater. I'll grab more pics later.

I didn't put any grommets on mine. I have a 4 Gauge and a 8 gauge running through it. If you drill the hole so that the wire fits tightly, it will never move. The wire bouncing and moving is what causes problems, this means it won't be cutting the jacket. Over 60,000 miles with it like this and no issues.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts