Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is definitely nothing like I've ever seen.

Looks incredible, but seems a bit impractical. Wonder how it would hold up in a crash test. I guess it's a good thing it will never see the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm liking it very much. Imagine the shapes you could make with just a frame and cloth, and the weight savings would have to be phenominal. I wonder if the cloth ripples at high speeds? Also I can't imagine you could have a very efficient air conditioning system.

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
That is ****ING sick as hell! I love this kind of stuff!

I keep hearing GYNA Like on 40 year old virgin's speed dating scene not GINA lol.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
how does it hold up against impact i wonder?

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
how does a regular body hold up? it doesnt, depending on where you get hit.. but im sure they know this, and made some sort of skeleton frame or w/e to make it safe... its BMW, im sure they got it covered... but who cares... it wont be on the street anytime soon, if ever.

·
Player to be named later
3,334 Posts
Anyone who's owned a convertible will know why this is a bad idea. They show a fabric something like spandex on this prototype; if that was practical and durable, you'd already see it on convertible tops.

We might see this on the road in 20 or 50 years, but not now.

... its BMW, im sure they got it covered...
Although they are looking into the possibility of a crashworthy space frame, you have to remember this is only a concept; I don't think BMW has the safety aspect covered, at least not yet.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
you guys take this too seriously. the car is a metaphor for a change in the way of thinking. of course its not a practical application, but it shows what can be done with an abstract approach. Yea a spandex car is a pretty awful idea for a car, but it makes you think about what different directions car design can go, it brings up questions and possibilities.

All in All, a brilliant concept, it does exactly what a concept should do.

·
xd tunner
1,488 Posts
It looks alive. That's interesting. As far as changes well, If they keep wasting rubber and with an internal combustion engine, I have no complains on something different.

·
LikeItLoud
306 Posts
I'd hate to have a system in there or anything of value. Car theives tools would change to just carrying around a razor blade to cut open your trunk

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd hate to have a system in there or anything of value. Car theives tools would change to just carrying around a razor blade to cut open your trunk
Yeah. But it would make a good roadster...something to drive around on a nice sunny day.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Can you imagine how pissed the owner of a cloth car would be after someone cut the skin to shreds?

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at the bright side. Cloth is cheaper to replace than metal fenders. (Although maybe not, if BMW makes it. :abovelol:)

·
Sole USA XD in Holland
1,207 Posts
Look at the bright side. Cloth is cheaper to replace than metal fenders. (Although maybe not, if BMW makes it. :abovelol:)
hahaha lol very true. You'd be going to a tailor to get your car fixed instead of a garage.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Does it come in tie-dye?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts