Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BORICUA
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys know, I recently bought the three piece set from Carbonman.(THANKS...SWEET) I have not had time to install them. I will this saturday and I will post pics. I just need to know where to post pics too.

·
BORICUA
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a quote from the original post from the archives. :nosthumbs

"2 of them will come complete with OEM light column switch so all you have to do is find the OEM wires and connect them to the fogs with pig tail conectors, Super has the switch (hasn't installed it yet but he has it) This means you get an OEM column switch instead of using an aftermarket rocker switch and cutting a hole in your dash"

·
Registered
376 Posts
OR, everyone who wants the switch installed can go to pep-boys and they'll do it for $45.....or so I'm told by the guy I talked to on the phone. This way no one messes up and no one has to deal with the agrivation it takes to install the switch :drive:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
EliteElantra02 said:
This way no one messes up
except the pep boy tech. i would NOT trust anyone at pep boys to do anything electrical on my car. also, i may be wrong but i'm 90% confident that the factory wires do not exist on the US GLSs. you have to run new wires from the stalk switch out the firewall and to the fogs. however i know which pins on the column switch you would need to connect to if you chose to go that route. also, removing the airbag is easy, you just have to disconnect the battery for at least 1/2 hour before removing the airbag to allow the built-in capacitor to discharge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My fogs should be on their way from kspec, hopefully you guys can have this resolved before I get into this mess.

·
BORICUA
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the same thing with disconnecting the battery. Also in the fuse box under the hood there is an open slot for the fog lights so i was assuming the wiring would be there. I guess I will find out on saturday. STAY TUNED!!!!! :halm:

·
Registered
542 Posts
All I know is what Jay told me. He said Hyundai put factory fogs on the 01 GLS' for a couple months when they first came out. Then they stopped, don't know why really, they just did. He said all the wiring for the factory fogs was on the cars MAIN WIRING HARNESS, and that changed when Hyundai quit putting the factory fogs in. The only reason the factory fogs are still available in the parts books is because they installed them for those couple months. (Just like the glove box lock, it is not installed anymore either, but it was at one time and the parts are available). Thats why almost everyone just ran their wiring to the sidemarkers except a few people who did the whole seperate switch and relay thing.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yeah, but why not just wire your fogs to a switched power source, like your interior fuse box and use a toggle switch in one of the empty bungs on your dash? much easier than taking off a wheel. no?

shawn :)

·
BORICUA
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah easier but I like to keep everything looking factory. Like usual murphy's law hit...I am stuck with the kids but I am still going to try it...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
for those of you who have the replacement turn signal stalk with OEM fog switch:

connect the foglights in parallel. run the positive wire into the left side marker positive wire. the left marker light positive wire is green/orange.

run the fog light's negative wire into the car and up to the steering column.

follow webtech's instructions for removing the multifunction switch (the switch that includes the turn signal stalk). you may or may not have to remove the airbag and steering wheel, but webtech says you do (they are often wrong). i know for a fact that you do not have to remove the airbag and steering wheel to remove the plastic column shroud and have access to the connectors. but to physically remove the switch you might have to.

http://hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394878712#_394878712

install the new switch.

hook up the wiring as follows:

attach the negative wire you ran into the car to the turn signal stalk switch connector (M02-1 on the webtech diagram), position 12. follow the diagram below to find where position 12 is on this connector:

http://hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394878677#_394878677

next, attach a short wire onto position 13 of the same connector, and ground the other end of the wire to chassis.

reassemble. the fog light switch will now switch on the fogs whenever the parking lights/headlights are on.

good luck. PM if you have any probs...

--southpaw

·
BORICUA
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Southpaw.
So far i have been hit with a wedding and military obligations so my last two weekends have been killed.....Lets try again this weekend coming up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got my GLS fog lights from kspec but the do not have the plugs to install them, is there anywhere I can purchase these or does it matter which wire is positive or negative? Can I just soldier a wire directly to the post? Is the Gt fog light plug the same as the GLS?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
not sure if the plug is the same between GT/GLS. but you can do the solder thing if you want. that should work fine. just insulate it well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts