Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a budget (saving for wedding), but want to lower my car 1.5-2 inches. what are good springs to get, are they relativly easy to install, or do I need to have them done somewhere. If I need to go somewhere how much do they usually charge to put them in.

·
Poster God
531 Posts
well i put mine it and i got the spring compressor to compress the spring if you want bro i could probably help u put them on. i got intrax springs i know ilan had gotten the aerospeed spring and anotehr member got them and they look sweet to low in the back for me but damn nice let me see if i can find the link to show u pictures.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thnaks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.

I want it to have good ride quality also. Like I said on another post somewhere, I drive a lot. not just in town but I take lots of road trips.

I got my XD onthe 26th and already have almost 1900 miles on it and am going to drive to Ventura this weekend (another 600 miles)

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I'd suggest the H&R springs since they'll lower 1.5" after settling. Other than Eibach, which provides a 1" drop, H&R is probably the next best choice for ride quality.

Check out www.hrsprings.com.

You should be able to do the install yourself if you understand what needs to be done. Among other things you'll need a jack and a couple jackstands, and a torque wrench. You can rent a spring compressor from Autozone.

Basically, you first jack up the car and remove a strut. Then you use the spring compressor to relieve the tension of the spring, so you can disassemble the strut. Then put the new spring in, and use the compressor to compress it, and then reassemble the strut. Then, put everything back in its place and repeat the process for every corner. When you're all done, you need to go get an alignment.

There are also a bunch of DIY articles on the web describing the install step by step. Here's one for the XD: http://www.elantragtclub.com/id352.html

·
Registered
378 Posts
The difference in prices between quality springs in not much. Although I haven't had either in my XD since I went with coilovers, my experience and what I have heard almost always points to Eibachs. They give the smallest drop but offer superb and probably the best in handling and the best in ride comfort.

Install on springs is the same no matter which ones you go with and if you have a spring compressor, a few tools, and a little know how, it isn't too dificult. You can rent the spring compressor for free at many autoparts store. If you take it to a shop, it will run about $200.

No matter if you do it yourself or take it somplace, you will have to have to pay to get the car alligned about a week or two later after the springs settle. I would recomend waiting atleast a week but do it before your next road trip.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
AUTOBOT said:
No matter if you do it yourself or take it somplace, you will have to have to pay to get the car alligned about a week or two later after the springs settle. I would recomend waiting atleast a week but do it before your next road trip.
Good point. This is true for most springs. But with Eibach, for example, you can have your car aligned almost immediately because they come from the factory 'pre-settled' according to their website.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did not know that about Eibach.
I would still wait if I could, but knowing this I wouldn't have a problem not waiting if I couldn't.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Yeah, with Eibach supposedly the only thing you need to wait for is the spring settling with the mounts. And I don't think that should take long at all... maybe an hour of driving, or something like that. That's just a wild guess.

For any other spring, I've heard you should wait at least a week for settling.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I wouldn't go with those, they are saying that they fit basically 5 different cars, the XD and prior gen Elantra and the RD, RD2 and GK Tib. All of those cars are similar in suspension design but have different weights. There have also been a couple members that had other manufacturer's springs that were made for the prior gen Elantra that made noise in the rear. I'd stick to something speicifically for our car for the best fitment and ride/handling. Don't be cheap on suspension and brake components you will most likely regrett it.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Didn't I basically just say stay away from cheap shit and springs that aren't listed to fit the XD(which btw is 01 and up XD2 is 04+ but the same except for cvvt) If it doesn't bother you go for it but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So don't use things that were made for anything older than 04.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, it's clear now

·
Registered
378 Posts
jameswing said:
Arn't ours coilovers?
Well, you got me there. LOL

Usually when somebody says they got coilovers, they are refering to fully a adjustable sping and damper package.

Like these but with the pillow ball mounts.
http://www.tein.com/ss1damp.html

So yes, you do have coilovers but I was refering to Teins that I have. :cool:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I realized that after I put the post up.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
i will be getting the eibach springs when i have the spare money. Anyone know what the pricing is for them?

tidal wave (Blue) '04 Elantra Gt 5-Door

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Eibach springs are around $220 depending on where you get them. I got mine from www.coximport.com ... although I see that they just raised their price. www.tirerack.com also sells them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts