Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I think this part is neat:
3G models include a free 100 MB per month of mobile data from Verizon Wireless
So, it's like getting a WiFi only one, but with 100MB of free mobile usage. I wouldn't download files while on the VZW 3G network, but for checking email, etc. it would be fine to use away from home/work.

They are basically a netbook without Windows. Price will determine their success. If it costs the same as a netbook, I'd rather get something with an OS.

This Chormebook is very similar to my netbook: http://www.google.com/chromebook/#chromebooks-acer

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Not if it costs just as much as a Windows machine. Since it's just as powerful as my $200 netbook [after xmas sale, $250 normally] that can run programs, connect to my camera, download things, play movies, etc - I'd rather have that than a cloud-access machine. Like I said before - price will determine its success. If it's a $100 internet browser, it might be successful.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I think the O/S is installed like firmware, not like software. If you want it, you'll need a device with it preinstalled.

Oh. My. God. I just found this:
Samsung's Series 5 WiFi-only model will cost $429, with a 3G version going for $499. Acer's will cost $349. Both machines will be available in the United States and in the U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Spain June 15.
They have absolutely lost their damn minds. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...or-Part-of-the-PostPC-World-Forrester-810412/

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
I think the O/S is installed like firmware, not like software. If you want it, you'll need a device with it preinstalled.

Oh. My. God. I just found this:

They have absolutely lost their damn minds. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...or-Part-of-the-PostPC-World-Forrester-810412/

i dont think they've lost their minds. it's just a different way of thinking about IT. Company I work for is heavily involved in pushing the "cloud". Many of our solutions are built using cloud based products. Need a CRM? Salesforce. Need email? Google Apps/Hosted exchange, Document sharing/storage? Google docs/Sharepoint. It eliminates your IT infrastructure, and the costs and troubles associated with it. Gives you a mobile work force.

Think of it as a total solution. You own a business, you set yourself up with google apps, a handful of these laptops, and bam, instant IT. There's no maintence because there's nothing to break, there's no software to update, there's no engineers to pay to maintain your servers, there's no downtime as long as you've got an internet access, you potentially dont need as big of an office because your employees can work from anywhere. There's a lot to like. Who cares if you have to spend $350-500 on a laptop to access it. Even the cheapest laptop you can get, once loaded with the typical office software apps, is going to cost several times that much. Of course there are draw backs and its no where near perfect, but complete cloud based solutions are still in their infancy. There's definitely potential here for an alternative to the traditional Microsoft way. Realistically, for the first time ever.

my question is will I be able to get the o/s on my current netbook . . .

Id like to see it pushed out like linux vs having to buy it like windows
You can download it and put it on anything you want. Its based of linux. Its not a firmware type OS.

http://getchrome.eu/download.php

·
Im better at video games
1,440 Posts
i dont think they've lost their minds. it's just a different way of thinking about IT. Company I work for is heavily involved in pushing the "cloud". Many of our solutions are built using cloud based products. Need a CRM? Salesforce. Need email? Google Apps/Hosted exchange, Document sharing/storage? Google docs/Sharepoint. It eliminates your IT infrastructure, and the costs and troubles associated with it. Gives you a mobile work force.

Think of it as a total solution. You own a business, you set yourself up with google apps, a handful of these laptops, and bam, instant IT. There's no maintence because there's nothing to break, there's no software to update, there's no engineers to pay to maintain your servers, there's no downtime as long as you've got an internet access, you potentially dont need as big of an office because your employees can work from anywhere. There's a lot to like. Who cares if you have to spend $350-500 on a laptop to access it. Even the cheapest laptop you can get, once loaded with the typical office software apps, is going to cost several times that much. Of course there are draw backs and its no where near perfect, but complete cloud based solutions are still in their infancy. There's definitely potential here for an alternative to the traditional Microsoft way. Realistically, for the first time ever.

You can download it and put it on anything you want. Its based of linux. Its not a firmware type OS.

http://getchrome.eu/download.php
I know what you are talking about, I am an IT guy . . . entry level . . . but still an IT guy(I do everything from help desk to toner to network administration to on and off site support . . . im more or less the work dog of the 6 man IT team in a middle size business).

Here is what I see going wrong . . .for the price of that, you get a netbook with internet only. . . more or less . . .

You already have access to all of those google apps from any computer, so why get a limited netbook when you can get a decent(<----- decent . . . .) for the same price. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-iN5030-2399B3D/15627195

I can see where it is going to cut down on IT support, but there will still be some needed support, if people arnt smart enough to go to google.com and type google docs to access it, or go to gmail and click on a link for something, then people arnt going to be smart enough to access the apps from their chromebooks.

But hell, im arguing this, but I think I would buy a chrome book :)

PS

I am ganna put that on my netbook that crashed and I have been to lazy to put anything else on

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Reason you dont buy the dell is because you still end up running a windows system, a windows system that for most, means having someone smart enough to maintain it. Having it be ChromeOS means you dont have to worry about updates, patches, security, viruses/etc. Chromebook forces them to keep everything in the cloud, meaning no chance of them losing/breaking their laptop and losing data. Its all about simplification, and basically, eliminating options.

ChromeOS pretty much runs just like a web browser. Even my most challenged users can usually handle clicking a link or a book mark if i tell them what the book mark does.

·
Im better at video games
1,440 Posts
yeah, this is ganna be prime for businesses.

I dont see it going well for home users, but your right. Looking at that from a business prospective, if your using all of those things then there is no reason not to use it. Now I think the obstacle would be getting businesses to get with it instead of using the normal things . . . lotus notes . . . out look . . . w/e

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
yeah, this is ganna be prime for businesses.

I dont see it going well for home users, but your right. Looking at that from a business prospective, if your using all of those things then there is no reason not to use it. Now I think the obstacle would be getting businesses to get with it instead of using the normal things . . . lotus notes . . . out look . . . w/e
Its good for grandma, kids, light users, people who dont do anything but browse the internet. I dont think its quiet ready for prime time for anyone in business yet though. Its coming, but still very early.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
We use Google Apps premier edition at my workplace - everything we need is "in the cloud" with Google... but didn't need to spend $500 on a specialized netbook to do it. $50/user/year for all the email/apps/docs/storage we can use. Just need any internet browser to access it.

If they do open-source the OS, why would anybody spend that kind of money for the chromebook? I like the idea of cloud computing, but Google missed the mark on pricing, by far.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
We use Google Apps premier edition at my workplace - everything we need is "in the cloud" with Google... but didn't need to spend $500 on a specialized netbook to do it. $50/user/year for all the email/apps/docs/storage we can use. Just need any internet browser to access it.

If they do open-source the OS, why would anybody spend that kind of money for the chromebook? I like the idea of cloud computing, but Google missed the mark on pricing, by far.

Why do you think they missed pricing? It doesnt really cost any less to build a laptop that would run chromeos. Its like I said - it eliminates the costs associated with a windows machine. I dont know what the specs are from Acer, but the original prototype Chomebook had a 15" screen, a 16gb SSD hard drive, a web cam, built in 3G, all that stuff adds up, and really - isnt much more than a netbook, but you get better build quality, and a full size screen/keyboard and everything else is free.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I don't like that I could buy a windows laptop for the same (or less) price as the Chromebook, and have all the Windows functionality + still use Google Apps. It's nice that they think everything can happen in the cloud, but the fact is until all software developers port their applications to Google, you still need to use windows in the transitional period. If you are going to be handcuffed to only use the cloud -or have to use 2 machines in the interim- there needs to be a price break.

Acer Chormebook - $349
11.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystalTM LED-backlit LCD
3.19 lbs | 1.45 kg
6 hours of continuous usage 1
Intel® AtomTM Dual-Core Processor
Built in dual-band Wi-Fi and World-mode 3G (optional)
HD Webcam with noise cancelling microphone
High-Definition Audio Support
2 USB 2.0 ports
4-in-1 memory card slot
HDMI port
Fullsize Chrome keyboard
Oversize fully-clickable trackpad

The most expensive Acer Netbook is $329 at Newegg, but most are in the $250 ballpark - and you get a license for Windows. That $329 gets you a 250GB hard drive, webcam, full keyboard, etc. The only thing I see the Chromebook winning with is the 3G, which is an optional ($) add on.

Here's a Samsung vs. Acer rundown.

Like I said before, I like the idea of the chromebook, but to be successful upon entering this new market, it needs to be priced at or under competing netbooks.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
ah, ok - i see what you mean now. I thought it would be more fullsized like the original prototype. These 2 models are clearly not geared towards any sort of business use. They'd have to have a at least a docking station, or a full size screen before any of my cloud app clients would work off one elusively.

I doubt they'll be successful for a while, but its google - gmail was in beta for how many years? this is just the first step i imagine. They will always be about as expensive though, cant do much about hardware costs unless its subsidized , OEM copies of Windows dont add anything to the price really. Wouldnt be surprised if in the future they include a lease option on them when you sign up for Google Apps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts