1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
The Amandamyster
1,104 Posts
i cant watch it because of my connection speed. but from the picture and little description, is this another facebook/myspace + email thing??

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
TL: DW? Anyone?

This looks destined to fail. We already have Facebook, IM and Email. This just looks like an integration of an IM convo (of which I seem to have less and less of) and a Facebook type interface. It looks like a real-time conversation tool that caters to people that are tied to their computer. I will concede that this seems like a slick new IM client... but that's all it is: IM, Google style. It looks like they just wanted an even nerdier way of keeping everyone "in the loop"... a la Twitter. While Twitter is arguably successful, it lacks staying power in its current form. (My opinion is that it'll go from "when I'm taking a **** notifier" to what I currently use it for: A new torrent push client/keeping updated on my favorite periodically-updated websites: ZeroPunctuation, TheDailyWTF, etc/Keeping updated on new releases from my fave bands and content publishers.... or it will die) Google Wave seems like a west-coast thing.

I already use Gmail as my email aggregate, Google Reader as my RSS feed sorter, Chrome as my browser, Google Docs and Calendar in the near future for school/work collaboration, and may end up using Picasa for pic upload. I am really uneasy about all of this.

Highlights:
-Incredible real-time search client (looks like they'll be toning that down)
-Context-sensitive spell check (scary, can solve bean/been, two/to/too problems)
-Seems scalable depending on what you are doing (simple convos to full-blown meetings with pic share and links

Issues:
How long am I really expected to sit at this computer?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I love it!!!

The best is when they are 4-5 in the same wave editing each other text !!!! AMAZING!

*brb need to change my underwear*

·
7 psi tunned by poweraxel
3,203 Posts
I like it!

Google is the most popular search engine right? I think it will be a hit because of that, if enough people notice it that is. having an all in one program that can do everything for you would be awesome.

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
I only use 3 methods of communication... cell phone, email and message boards. That's it. You can keep all of the "networking" sites, messengers, and webcam crap...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I only use 3 methods of communication... cell phone, email and message boards. That's it. You can keep all of the "networking" sites, messengers, and webcam crap...
if you think Google Wave is a new "networking site" you didn't look at the demo!

Google Wave is definitively something new that needs to be checked!!! I can't wait for it to be launched!!!

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
they are playing "keeping up with the jones'" with facebook, xuqa, myspace, eharmony, and every other communication website out there

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
Bump;
Anyone got it?
I've just got the demo, and so far it's great.
Post your addresses!
[email protected]

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
This isnt Facebook, all this is is google's version of Microsoft Sharepoint, which is an idea thats been around for 6-7 years, and hasnt really taken off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts