Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So im on my way home from work the other day and This starts happening..

Im thinkin ok.. everything in that door is done with either a good crimp tool or is straight soldered together. Theres no way that would come loose right?

So i pop off the panel

yeah i know its messy. thats cause i made all the wires long enough to remove the panel and still have some slop so nothing gets pulled tight.
The wires that come up come straight from the amp in the back, i ran my own wiring so im not using the factory wires at all anymore.
i dont care what anyone says about how its not that hard to run wires from the car to the door, that was a pain in the freakin ***.. anyway

Check all the connectors and everthing looks good. i start playing music and shaking the wires, bending the solder points to the tweeter. messing with the crossover. cant make it mess up. everything is fine and in good.

Pull off the midbass driver, grab the connectors and as soon as i touch the positive terminal it cuts right out. as i wiggle the connector its obviously losing connection. a quick inspection shows everything fine.. its on tight and its metal on metal.. Then as i start to remove it i see the problem. The wire has oxidized, which wouldnt really be a huge deal, but there so much that its all over the connection itself and gunking it up with crud, looks like what you would see on an old batter terminal, white and green nasty buildup. I took some pics, but sadly you cant really see it that much.

On the first pic, you can see some of the stuff powdered off and is sitting on the lower left of the connector. in the second you can definitely see that its crusy.

since i have the thing at an angle you can kinda see that its lookin gross..
I decided i didnt want to reuse that thin wire anyway, so i just cut that whole section of wire off and ran a new 16g line for the speaker. Who needs connectors anyway? Once i solder the wire straight to the terminals that crap is never gonna give me issues again lol.

I wrapped the wire around the terminal.

Then tossed some solder over it on the front and the back. I was pretty happy with how clean it looks, not like anyone will ever see it once its installed anyway though.

Then i did the hot line and made sure there was solder on the front and back, i didnt want the possibility of it getting caught on anything or pulling etc.

pic is kinda ****ty but you get the point..

Problem solved. Now i can go back to blastin some floyd :D

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Did you mount your terminals up opposed to down?

Is your exterior window gasket messed up?

I know the speaker looks to big for the factory bracket, but if you use it in conjunction with the wood spacer will it fit? This would give you water protection.

In my case using the factory bracket reduced door rattle and increased bass response.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you mount your terminals up opposed to down?
they were sideways

Is your exterior window gasket messed up?
nope, no moisture in there. and it rained the day before.

I know the speaker looks to big for the factory bracket, but if you use it in conjunction with the wood spacer will it fit? This would give you water protection.
Ummm. What? of course it fits with a wood spacer, see the pic? lol and how would using a spacer protect against water?

I don't really know about this stuff but I'm glad you got it fixed and you can meet your Pink Floyd needs.
Yes, that was a definite must. When listening to music you can really appreciate, having a speaker cutting out is no good..

Pink Floyd F#ckin Rocks!!!!!! Hey Ugzz did you remove the plastic from your door and if yes how did you get that tar stuff of the door that held it on?
I just peeled the thing off, and for the heavy buildups of tar i just ripped most of it off by hand. Then like you do with silly putty or something ,i made the tar into a ball and used that to get the excess. Just by pressing the tar ball up against the left over bits and pulling back quickly. It was mid-summer and the tar was already pretty much falling off from the heat.

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
As far as water protection with the spacer, I think he is stating using the stock mounting bracket with a spacer will provide some dripping water protection. The factory mount has a cover over the top of the back of the speaker. I reused mine to prevent any water that may drip from the outside window weather strip and haven't had any corrosion, rust or water damage problems when I took out my speakers about 6 years later.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah ok, i see now. i had special brackets for a set of 5.25s right off the bat so the factory cover was out and i never saw it again. So i never really got to check em out or mess with them. i bought some of the large "adapter" plastic brackets, and as soon as i put the first screw into it the freakin plastic snapped lol. so much for the adapters

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
LOL ugzz, you misunderstood what I meant.

I meant the speaker looks to big to use with the factory black plastic bracket. So maybe if you use the spacer and the factory bracket it will shield it from water. Like what I did, but use the spacer with it, so that the speaker will fit. http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?35768-New-Speaker-Brackets

All doors get some moisture in them, no way around it. I guess if those where some cheap thrown in the box with the speaker terminals yea can't complain that they corroded. But the speaker basket shouldn't be rusting.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah sorry lol. once tricked esplained it to ma i figured it out haha
i didnt get what you meant becasue honestly i didnt even notice the rust on the back of the magnet at all. and didnt still until just this moment when i relooked at the pic to see what you were talking about.

eh, they still sound fine and no damage so im just going to let it slide. I didnt have anything protecting my infinitys i had in there for about 2 years and they were fine too.
I like your idea though, and your install looks nice, clean, and factory. i dig it.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Yea, They will still last a long time.

If you take some polyurethane (pliable sealant) and wrap it around the terminals, you won't ever have to worry about them again.

Polyurethane is very useful, its like magic sealant :). Ever thought, Man I wish I could plug this tiny pin hole...
I like this brand, just for it's ease of application. I'm sure it could be found cheaper, maybe even better but I've never bothered looking.
http://www.coaxseal.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts