Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seemed like the appropriate place to ask this quesion: When I am in a turn even at normal speeds the front handles like a dream but if I hit a slight inconsistency in the road, my rear slides out. Reasons, solutions, laughing? Is it my driving, can I fix this :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
have you done any mods to your suspension?
do you know what tire presure you have in the rear tires. to much or to little could cause the back to be more happy.... but not likely if you still have a stock setup.....

lemme know and we can go from there

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm no mods other than extra grounding. My tire pressures are erratic (longstory) but I think I am running max psi in the rear and the fronts usualy are running less due to "unable to find" leak. Maybe bringing the rear done from 44psi to 34 psi would help?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Holy hell! 44psi in the rear, you are trying to fight the awful sidewall flex? If the rear has a lot more or a lot less than the fronts, it will make the back end happy. 44 is too much in the back. Right now I have 38psi in the front and 30psi in the rear and it makes the backend ever so slightly loose, but it seems to be the best I can find for the Michelins on the street. va_beach03 recommended 40/30 F/R for auto-X, so I decided to use 38/30 for the street. What do you think CaseyGT2001?

EDIT: oops, I misplaced the space in vabeach_03.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
38/30 is ok. I was running 38/34 approx when I still had the stock rubber. It really comes down to personal prefference but 44 is way to high if the fronts are that low.

·
Registered
429 Posts
44!!!!!! i didn't run that high autocrossing my stockers. even in the front i wouldn't run that high. bring your back end down to about 30-35. it will be a world of difference in handling and in tire wear.

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought so, beacause the front end handles like a dream through a serious turn at high speeds but if there is a bumb there goes the rear swinging out. Thanks guys I will try it in a few.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure if you talking about this... but i noticed on turns when you hit a bump the car seems to slide over a little. I think its typical of most cars but i'm not really sure since i've only had 2 cars. My other car did it also.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yeah my car does it too. from what i believe its that one tire or 2 tires getting airborne for a second. and with the forces of the car pushing that little air time will push you over a foot or 2. as long as your not going WAY too fast you have no fear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another thing to keeo in mind is that if you are braking into the corner (trail braking), then you have a majority of the car's weight on the front wheels, making the rear end lighter. This can help to induce the oversteer your have talked about. if you are losing your ass in the corners, put your foot (gently)on the accelerator. this will put the weight on the rear tires, and will make the back end follow the drive tires....

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There that's it, the skipping thing, as I said hit a slight anything and the rear slides out... hmm Im still gonna do the tire pressure thing wont be able to say anything till sunday as I will be with out the internet till then :-(

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
I have 205/40/17's and I keep them at 32 psi. That seems like a good setting to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
billy = yes, i noticed that too in mine, it just is... and 44 psi in rear...thats gotta be fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts