Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hatch suddenly stopped working. I clicked the handle and it's like it's not latching onto anything. The key won't work either. I can't see what's going on without taking the whole panel off the hatch door I guess.

Anyone had this issue before. Remote or key won't work suddenly to open hatch?

Also I just got the windshielf washer pump replaced and the fluid barely comes out (wasn't great before though didn't have it for long before).

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. Warranty takes care of these issues.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. Warranty takes care of these issues.
You are assuming it's still under warranty. That issue would only be under the 5y-60k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Since he has a 2004 GT hatchback, it's probably out of warranty.

Which brings up another issue. His 2004 Elantra GT hatchback is an XD, not an FD (Elantra Touring). Would a mod please fix the prefix on this thread?

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the windshield washer problem, it's probably that the hose is pinched. I have that problem on mine, and now, I make sure to reposition the hose everytime à close the hood. I don't know if it's a bad design, or there's a clip missing on my car, but the hose has a tendency to position itself right under the hood hinge. Make sure the hose pass around the hinge (above). Else, there will be no pressure, or only low pressure.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The XD has issues with the washer pump pickup clogging. Fix for this is to spray a STRONG stream of water at the bottom of the tank for a minute or so. My XD had this issue often.

·
Noob (play gunbound?)
1,336 Posts
The handle on my hatch had the same thing that happened to yours.

I just grabbed a can of JigALoo (WD40 works too) and sprayed soaked the lock, the hinges (for the handle) and it "clicked" loose.

I thought the handle was broken, but rust had something inside the overall locking mechanism seized.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. The car is definitely not under warrantly anymore. High kms. I used air to clear the wiper spray nozzles and it seemed to work a bit better but not for long. It's like the right nozzle isn't even aimed to the enough of the right windshield to wet it appropriately. But maybe these solutions will fix how far it sprays.

I will check for the pinched hose and also spray down the bottom of the tank.

I will also try spraying hatch lock and door handles. If that works I will be THRILLED. I've put enough money into repairs on this car and am hoping for a good stretch of smooth running after this. It definitely seems like the locking mechanism is what's seized, like you said about yours.

Thanks,

Amie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not know if you fixed the washer but I had similar problem. I replaced the pump and kaboom ...... nothing happend it continued spraying very moody and no pressure at all. I checked the hoses and nohing so the las element were the nozzles. There was the Problem they were burned fro the sun and they were stuck I tried to blow through them and nothing so I went on eBay and found genuine for Tiburon 3-Way ones and that solved my problem. I'm assuming now thats why m pump went bad because of the big pressure and it starter liking from the bottom.
Try that I'm almost sure it will work the nozzles-$10.

·
Registered
604 Posts
the hatch handle assembly are common for rust and mines been done for a while now got tired of fixing it time and time again, lol try the lube idea see if that works, also I have to push the handle back to the closed position before i close the hatch every time and the remote sometimes works with it, lol as for the washer pump issue, try taking a paper clip and unfold it or a needle of similar diameter and clean out your washer nozzles see if they are just clogged.

Do Not use water in your washer fluid tank I know the high pressure may work but not in the winter in Manitoba during winter if the water gets into the system it may freeze in the system/pump, if need be just remove the tank and pump it is very easy to remove and try washing out in the sink with higher pressure water and let drain before putting back into the car.

Mark,

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
^ yeah exactly!! push it to the closed postion and then shut it...it will work....you need some white lithium lube.

for the washing...if you remove the three 10mm bots and remove the passenger side headight its right there! pull it out and look at it...it might have huge bugger hanging from it...clean it off and retry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah! I replaced the pump because it was leaking/not holding any fluid when I bought the car. When it would hold fluid (for a day) it sprayed poorly. Then even after the pump was replaced it still sprayed poorly. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know how to determine if the washer pump is working or not?

I don't think I have a clogged tubing or the nozzles. But when I pull on the lever nothing happens and the wiper blades move without the fluid.

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts