Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a 2003 Elantra GT 5-dr which I acquired in May. So far as I can tell, it runs & drives perfectly, and nearly everything works. The one thing that doesn;t work is the rear window washer system.

The wiper itself works, as well as the associated switches and power systems.
When I push in the button to send fluid to the rear window, the pump runs, but no fluid gets to the rear nozzle.
The fluid instead comes out from under the body, just behind the right front wheelwell.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, before I go and start tearing off body panels and underbody stuff. I think that the tube leading to the rear nozzle may be either disconnected, clogged, or twisted. Also, if anyone has any advice on how best to access this point for diagnosis and repair, it would be very helpful.

I bought a Haynes manual and it says the rear window has a separate reservoir in the back. Unfortunately this seems to be incorrect, and I don't know when such a thing became part of the design.

Thanks,
-Raj
:smiley_ac

·
Call me J
1,978 Posts
I've got a sedan, but I'm surprised that it doesn't say anything in the manual.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
sounds like the hose is broken. pull out the fender liner, it's only a few bolts, and see what's up

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
^ That's exactly what I was thinking, or the hose simply popped off of the nipple of the pump for the rear washer.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
There is also a connector at the spot he is leaking wiper fluid. That may have come loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll pull the wheel liner off this week when I do an oil change, and hopefully will get some pictures.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully when you pull the wheel well liner off (pretty easy to do) you'll be able to see the cause of the issue. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, just wanted to thank you all and to confirm that it was indeed the hose disconnected from underneath the wheel liner. I finally got around to taking it off and found the ends disconnected and apart by several inches. I was able to pull them together and reconnect them, and the system works fine now.

-Raj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts