Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i need a detailed DIY, i cannot figure this out, it is driving me insane. i believe the problem is i have the after market OEM clear headlights, so if someone who has them knows how to do this, please help! i need to fix both headlights and would not like to pay someone to do it when i can do it myself.

thx all.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Look at the back of the assembly during the daylight. It might even help you to take the assembly out. You will see a hole inbetween the high beam and low beam on the top part of the back of the assembly. That hole is where you put a philips screwdriver into in order to turn the screw that adjusts the headlights. Once you see it, you'll wonder how the hell it took you so long. Ive shown other elantra owners on their cars and "Oh shit..." is the most common response.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, i think i found it but am not totally sure. when i screw, will the screwdriver be parallel to the ground? the picture in the manual has it vertical, but i am guessing its wrong or something..its useless.

if you don't mind, a pic or two would be greatly appreciated. :D

·
Pimp/Hustla
213 Posts
DragoZERO said:
alright, i think i found it but am not totally sure. when i screw, will the screwdriver be parallel to the ground? the picture in the manual has it vertical, but i am guessing its wrong or something..its useless.

if you don't mind, a pic or two would be greatly appreciated. :D
Yes, it'll be parallel to the ground. There are two screws. One for left/right adjustment, and one for up/down adjustment. It's reallly much simpler to get out your 10mm socket and pop those puppies out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheWickedestOne said:
Yes, it'll be parallel to the ground. There are two screws. One for left/right adjustment, and one for up/down adjustment. It's reallly much simpler to get out your 10mm socket and pop those puppies out.
so which one would be for the up/down? and i don't want to take them out, the idea is to position them once they are in.

·
Pimp/Hustla
213 Posts
DragoZERO said:
so which one would be for the up/down? and i don't want to take them out, the idea is to position them once they are in.
Taking them out takes all of two minutes or less, depending on how fast you can turn a socket. You can pop them in and out without putting the bolts back on while you make minor adjustments. You'll also have the benefit of being able to see the little picture on them that tells you which is left/right and which is up/down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SuperGLS said:
All good tips. If you still can't figure it out I'd just ask the guys at the dealer to do it next time you are in for your normal service, they'll do it for free if you are already there.
do you think they'll do it for free if thats all i need? if not, how much would they charge? i don't service it there, i have a family friend who owns a shop and all. i'm willing to pay because a). i rarely have to time to do it and b). i want it done right. but free is always better ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I recomend pulling the light out just to find the holes. Then adjust them on a wall about 20 feet away bolted down. That way they wont move when you go to tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey all, i'm bumping this b/c the problem is still here.

my car guy who put my stereo stuff and foglights in tried to adjust the headlights and had a hard time doing it. they would barely move when he twisted the screwdriver and all. where else could i go to get it fixed other than the dealer?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
DragoZERO said:
do you think they'll do it for free if thats all i need? if not, how much would they charge? i don't service it there, i have a family friend who owns a shop and all. i'm willing to pay because a). i rarely have to time to do it and b). i want it done right. but free is always better ;)
All I can tell you is take 20 minutes of your time and stop by a dealer. They should be more than happy to adjust them for you free of charge. It is a simple fix and should be no problem for them to take care of.

·
Registered
36 Posts

There are two hex head screws visible at the upper rear of the headlight. Over these screws are channels that your philips screwdriver is going to fit in. When you turn the screwdriver you are turning those gear wheels that are behing those hex head screws. The gear wheels are attached to a long (4-5") screw that goes thru the headlight body and are threaded thru the plate that the highbeam and lowbeam are mounted on. Turning the screwdriver turns the long screw which then moves the plate inside of the headlight foward or rearward.

You've got to turn the screwdriver quite a few turns to see ANY movement.

1) If you turn the screwdriver and are getting no movement then something inside the headlight is broken. Could be the adjustment screws are stripped.

2) You should be 25 ft from a wall or garage door when alighning. The procedure with graphics included is on Webtech and in the back of the owners manual.

3) If you cant get the beams where you want them there could be a problem with your aftermarket headlights not manufactured right.

4) If you've turned the screwdriver so far that there is now no movement the long screw that goes thru the plate inside of the headlight may have run out of threads. That is...you've turned it so far that the end of the long screw has poped out of the alignment plate inside of the light. Only fix is to remove the headlight from the car, take off the covers in the back over the high/low beam openings and with your hand rethread the long screw back onto the alignment plate. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts