Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

WHat Do You Think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without Flash Dir.jpg Closer Front At N&.jpg Headlights On Wit.jpg Front At night..jpg Front shot..jpg SideShot RH LED..jpg SideShot LH LED..jpg I just completed installing two white LED strips under each of the headlights. They were flexible and thin enough to fit in the small gap between the headlight and the bumper cover with no modification of either. Both strips are wired to the exterior light circuit, in line with the front side-marker lights. The LED strip is "Side Emitting" allowwing them to be flush mounted, with thin adhesive strip, to the underside of the headlamp assembly. They are far brighter than I thought they would be. Let me know what you think. (PS the night pictures without the flash are blurry, sorry)

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
that is pretty effing awesome sir! +reps for you.
Where did you get the strips and how much did they cost?

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
I'd wire them to the DRLs... so they weren't on at night. If I could somehow get them into the H/L enclosure... I'd rock them.

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im thinking of Getting 5000K HID H7 headlights, when I do that, i may try to put them in the enclosure, but noe, the heat would shorten their life

---------- Post added 03-25-2010 at 09:58 PM ----------

And my car is not equipped with DRLs. the lamp is there, but it only turns on when the "parking lights" are turned on.

·
Lord of Chaos
781 Posts
Lol...I had a similar idea with my HD...except they would be blue. Also, I'd have them cut on with the parking lights (or w/e the first click on the headlight control would be). Kinda be like an Audi look...sorta

Looks good. Do you have any night pics with just those on? (no headlights)

KAI came out with these for the HD and I contacted them about it. They said that it's just the headlight cover...just the plastic cover with them installed, not the whole headlight assembly. They did offer to install them and have a whole assembly sent...for $400 extar PER LIGHT!! ouch...1k for headlights...not worth it to me. We can just make our own like you did!!

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI The LEDs are wired to the parking lights, they only turn on when the headlights are turned on. The first click on the stalk. they will stay on though, with the key out of the ignition, like the rest of the parking lights.

·
Lord of Chaos
781 Posts
FYI The LEDs are wired to the parking lights, they only turn on when the headlights are turned on. The first click on the stalk. they will stay on though, with the key out of the ignition, like the rest of the parking lights.
Oh, ok...never mind....I'd personally hook it up to a separate switch then. Still looks good!

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really would like to wrap strips like these around the rings inside the headlight enclosure, but im afriad of the heat of the halogen lamps burning out the LEDs. If i can get a Headlight assembly from the Junk yard to do some R&D. i may try it.

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts
And pepboys has them to looks good. But yeah I think they would look better in the headlight I like the Audi look better than the bmw angel eye look. I was at the mall one day and this big suv had them all over the front of it and it did not look good it was over kill.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
saw these at autozone too, wanted to do the same just never did. good to know what it wud have looked like if i did. good job man!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'd do it if I could have them inside the headlamp linked either to the DRL or the parking/city lights.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. I might attempt this with mine, because I have a superbrightLED in my DRL's, but it's not bright enough for me.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
sweet, nice mod, it would look nicer from the inside, or what if you made eye brow leds!! put it on the top of the head lamps!! eehh thats also another nice idea!

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
beautiful. as said, inside is cooler. but since its not, it still looks Really awesome, much better than i would have thought.
+++ awesome

·
Creating Imbalances
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input. I am gonna see what i can do with amber as well. hopefully I will procure a headlight that i can test some theories out on. The amber LEDs i intend to connect to the turn signal, as long as it doesnt look tachy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did LED strips this weekend
they look great and it took me all of about an hour
Popped my headlight casing out, found the brown/ tan wire and in-line spliced my LED's in
Now my LED bars light up with my corner markers
The other wire, not the black one, is for the blinker and you dont even need a resister
which is awesome

1 - 20 of 25 Posts