Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Kenwood KDC-MP438U headunit (my opinion about this headunit in just a bit) and I have had it working for about a year now, and it works perfectly well other than the fact that it does not dim with the rest of the gauge and HVAC buttons and such. If i remember correctly, the stock headunit would dim with the dimmer control/rheostat thing. I looked in the instruction book for the kenwood and it has a wire for supposed dimmer control, and I will be double checking tomorrow to make sure it is plugged to the right thing, but I just wanted to ask on here if it is possible to control the brightness of aftermarket headunits?
---------------/

Now for my opinion on this headunit (not important lol, and does not pertain to my question)
Overall i really like this HU. The blue glow on it is nice, and the red backlit buttons go well with the blue. I got it mainly for the aux and usb input right there on the front behind a nice little slide down door. It is "iPod ready", but it is far from user friendly for the iPod. the remote it comes with does not do any of the browsing for the ipod, the only way to browse through the ipod is by using the volume/pretty-much-everything-control knob. Which leads me to another point. The amount of things that volume knob has to do is crazy. its kinda crazy having to remember which direction to push on the knob to do things. I have started just selecting what i want played on the ipod before plugging it in so that i dont have to worry with turning the knob 10000 times to get down to any band that has a name with the first letter being anything past "M" (you cant scroll backwards to start from the bottom!!!). Anyways. it works relatively well, looks nice, but i would like to be able to make it a bit dimmer at times (which is why i posted this thread haha). [end rant] ;-)

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
i didnt bothering readin the entire post... but judging by the title he wants to hook up the radio dim to the dash dim? ive thought about it too... and idk the specifics... but could u possily run a wire from the radio harness to the dash dimmer? n hook them up together?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its strange because the harness i bought says that a white/orange light is for dimming, yet there is no white/orange but there is an orange/black that has dimmer ground on it. I finally found a diagram
http://www.carspace.com/guides/2001-06-Hyundai-Elantra-Audio-Guide
and it says that the place where that dimmer ground hooks up is the illumination (-) which i guess would be ground. Is it essential that that is connected to something?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If the headunit is setup to dim with the (-) wire, you're sunk. The elantra rheostat (dimmer knob) adjusts the (+) voltage, with ground being constant.

On my JVC Arsenal, the dimmer wire hooks up to the (+), and the deck dims with the lights on, and regular with the lights off. The dimmer has no effect on the level of brightness - it's either dimmed or not.

·
Platinum Member #1
2,010 Posts
^^ thats how my alpine works too. when you turn the lights on, it dims to a preset level, and when you turn the lights off, it goes back to daytime mode again. no in-between. some decks dont dim at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ thats how my alpine works too. when you turn the lights on, it dims to a preset level, and when you turn the lights off, it goes back to daytime mode again. no in-between. some decks dont dim at all.
Ah, well mine had been doing that, dimming when you turn the headlights on. not very much tho. I thought that was just because there was more power going to the headlights, so less power for all the other lights making them dimmer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.