Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We are new here and want to say Hi and ask for help with my daughters car. We purchased it used last year in August. Shortly after we purchased the car it had problems. The problem was that it didn't want to stop. It kept lunging forward. The problem ended up being the idle speed actuator which we have replaced. Her boyfriend decided it needed spark plug and changed them for her. Nothing else, just the plugs. Now it feels like it's only working on 2 cylinders. It starts, idles fine but when you go to excellerate it spits and sputters and doesnt want to go. It gets to 30 or so miles per hour and it feels better but... it uses so much gas! Currently we are at least a 3 hour drive from any Hyundai dealer. We did have the transmission checked and it's not that... The plugs are gapped correctly, but we are wondering if maybe the wires didn't get put in the right order (what is the firing order??)... Anyone have suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Steve

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
are you sure the plugs are the right ones? it seems like it'd be hard to mix the wires up, unless he did it at the coil pack. im pretty sure that the coil pack on my car shows which output goes to which cylinder. I would also reccomend a new set of wires, just for good measure.
if you want to have OEM replacements shipped to you, give Jay a call 877-226-1152.
he is a parts manager at a hyundai dealer, and often supplies parts to other members of this board. but the only thing I can think of is to switch the wires around. shouldnt make a difference if its not working anyway. pull a plug and see if the idle worsens or it dies. if it doesnt, then you know that cylinder isnt firing. hopefully you'll find two that arent working, and you'll swap the wires and it'll work, but it may just as likely be that one wire is bad, because I have a hard time beleiving that it'll start only running two cylinders.

and =P this site focuses on 2001-2004 elantras, but you're more than welcome here. there might be some people at www.hyundaiperformance.com with more answers on what to do, since alot of us havent worked on 1999 elantras.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts