Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Elantra GT, Manual Transmission with 147,000km on it.

Recently the car has been having problems with 3rd gear. It started a few weeks ago. When shifting the car shifts fine to all other gears but 3rd. The car will either pop the gear out, grind the gear, or the gear will be partially in, enough that the shifter will spin, but not enough to engage the gear. I find more often that not I have to slam the car into gear and even this doesn't work all the time. For awhile going to higher RPMs first and then shifting worked but even that has started failing. On a few occasions I've had to skip 3rd gear entirely because it refuses to go into gear.

Even when stopped, clutch fully depressed, sometimes the car won't go into 3rd. Like it's blocked out. If you keep trying eventually it will go in like there's no problems but when driving down the road it is always a mission to try to get it into 3rd.

This problem isn't happening with any other gears.

What could be causing this issue and what are some ways to fix it? Has anyone else run into this problem?

·
practical
15 Posts
I still own a 2001 Accent 5spd bought it at 68,000 and a few gears grind and 3 weeks later I changed the oil and found a gray metallic cloud of oil and said damit.
I added new oil and not much better BUT what improved the shifting was with engine on, hot transmission with clutch pedal down and as fast as you can go in 1st and 2nd gears 15 to 20 times back and forth then try 2nd to third gear, then 3rd to 4th gear as fast as you can, then 4th and 5th gear what this does is helps remove old coagulated muck from synchro-shaft. The previous bone-head didn't change the oil in time. Today my car has 207,000 and the trans stopped grinding it took a few years but that quick shifting and changing the oil every 25,000 saved the trans.
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.