Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I desperately need your help here :( just a few hours ago my car temp needle have been passing the 2 dots where it would always stay in. I can hear the fans for the motor really workin to keep the engine kool.This makes me think that the sensor is working to send the signal to the fan. I let the engine kool down somewhat , opened the rad cap to check the fluid level, that too is fine, there are no apprent leaks noticeable. Which leaves me with the only assumption that it is the thermostat. Can you guys back my theory up please? If you can think of anything else or if you ran into this before, please help me out. I need to get this fixed in the next 24 hours :(

(by the way, the day here is really humid and hot, but not enough to make the temp rise like that, and what i also notice is that when i stop running the car, the temp somewhat slowly tries to go down, when I accelerate, the temp slowly picks up.)

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

and IF it is the thermostat, please advise how hard it would be to change it. Thanks to ANYONE that responses to this cry of help.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
If you can hear the fans kicking in, then it wouldn't be a sensor, It's either a blockage in the cooliant hoses or the Thermostat. Thermostats are pretty cheap, usually just a few bolts and that's it.

Disassembly

and heres a pic of where it is

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If you can hear the fans running, and there are no evident coolant leaks, it is a pretty safe bet that the t-stat is partially stuck. The illustration that jacksonj provided is a good one. Just remember to let the car cool completely before attempting the replacement. (Never open a hot system) If this is something that you feel you can't do, or don't want to, then by all means, take it to a mechanic. But if you have ever played around wit cars, you should be able to tackle it. If the t-stat does not fix it, the only other thing that I can think of is the water pump. I have seen them brake down internally, but that is a very rare thing. GOOD LUCK!

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Well for those Mechanically challenged, then yes take it to a mechanic. And some of us don't have warrenties anymore, so that answer doesn't always work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My warrenty is out already ( i didnt buy it new)

iam pretty mechanically sane person and that diagram seem pretty straight forward honestly, seems to me that if all goes well, it should be a 20 minute thing. oh man how i wish it is just the thermostat, i dont have the money to pay for the water pump replacement now.

there's really no way to test the thermostat is there? other then that insert in boiling water test?

Thanks again for the help with this!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Go to a auto parts store and ask for a fail-safe thermostat. When there is something wrong with the thermostat, it stays in the open position instead of the closed postition reducing the threat of damage.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've been selling auto parts for a really long time, and I've never heard of a fail-safe thermostat. The best thing to do if you are worried about this happening in the future is to take the t-stat and drill a very small (about 1/8 in) hole in the flange. This will allow at least some water to flow if it ever does stick again. One word of advice, try to stay away from the Robert Shaw brand at Auto Zone. Try to find the brand name Stant, it shouldn't be a problem. See if any of these stores are close to you at all. It is a very reputable chain.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
whao, thanks for the link. But I dont have any of those stores around here, Iam actually going to get one from hyundai parts . sometimes its good to replace those key items things with the same manufactors....but anyways thanks alot for the link, I will let everyone know how it worked out later on tonight.

:clap: WOOOHOO! :multiples its was only the thermostat~ :werd: Thanks everyone for their help!! :halm: well iam only 30 bucks broker then yesterday. so its all good, Thank God its was only that and not the pump! :imnotwort

Later guys! :wavey:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts