Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did fill up the day it started to smell...nothing unusual when I was filling the tank.. the car now has a real strong gas smell inside. P0451 has been on for a while now.. I been scaving the local junkyards for a ftps.. With no luck..is there something else wrong now? Canister?

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
We told you what the problem was over a week ago:
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?42760-Cel..-P0451&p=630031

From the CEL thread it says:

"P0451 Evaporative emission (EVAP) pressure sensor – range/performance problem EVAP pressure sensor"
hmaservice has this as an issue with the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. This sensor is located on the backside of the tank, you can reach it from underneath.

but that is what needs to be replaced.
Hmmm...smell of gas in the car and a CEL that indicates a problem with the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Yes, the 2 are probably related.

Why are you wasting your time looking in junkyards for a used part and continuing to drive around for "a while" with the CEL on? Oh wait...you're a Giants fan...that explains it. [joke] Just get a new sensor and replace it.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
the smell could also be from a line under the hood (your ventilation comes just under the cowl by the windshield wipers) so the smell would be pulled directly from there.

also...yes...get that tank pressure sensor fixed! haha

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
The last time I heard someone freak out about a gas smell it was a minor leak at the pulse dampener on the fuel rail. Like he said that would put the leak right by the ventilation. Look at the end of the fuel rail and see if its wet.. that would = bad, but cheap/easy to fix.

Im not so sure that something at the tank would make it smell that bad in the car without it smelling worse outside. It has that stick stuff plate that sits down on top of it. If that is missing then ignore everything I just said, ha

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
^ yeah from the tank you would smell it outside...if your smelling it from the inside its in the engine compartment. Either the fuel lines or the dampener (i forgot about that one)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx, for the replies..Going down today to pick up ftps at dealer..also scanned car today and found another code po455, large leak.. Mayb this why I'm smelling gas fumes..p0451 and p0455.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts