Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to change the driver's side headlight bulb on my wife's 2002 Elantra I had to remove the battery to gain access. When I was done and everything was back in place there was no power to the radio. Nothing at all. Everything else electronic in the car functions properly. Of course I checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes and all fuses are fine. What I haven't done yet is to ascertain if there is a fuse in the stereo unit itself, anyone know? (I called the loacal dealer but they didn't know the answer) Any other ideas what might have happened or what to do? Thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
first off its easier to remove the whole headlight. it comes out with 3 bolts.

there is no fuse in factory radios, not even ones with the brand name on them. time to get out a volt meter and start at the radio and test the 3 primary wires for power. they are:
Radio 12V red
Radio Ground black
Radio Ignition yellow

then hit the fuse box

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the ideas. As to fuses, didn't check them with volt meter but did verify them by putting them in other slots. I'll check the wires at teh radio and see what that tells me. I guess it's safe to say if the wires check out fine then the radio is fried? What should I look to next if there's an issue with the wires?

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
So when you are saying no power to the radio, you didn't actually put a volt meter on the power wires at the radio connector? You are just saying the radio doesn't turn on?

Check the wires with a volt meter at the radio. That will determine if it's the radio or the wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is the headunit, I'm sure someone here has another stock one for cheap (if that's what you want).
I've confirmed that the wires are fine so yes indeed I do want to replace it with anoghter stock unit. I just placed a WTB post in the marketplace forum, but if anyone reading this thread has one they want to sell please let me know asap, thanks!

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.