Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys are phone savy out there. Even though I'm in the IT field, I'm phone-stupid. Yesterday I got a new Motorola v400. (very similar to v500, v600 if you have that). Here's what I need.

I spent all night putting in my phone numbers. I stored them all to the SIM card. My phone, however, couldn't assigne ringtones, pictures, etc. to the numbers unless they were stored in the phone. So I copied all my numbers to the phone. The problem is now I have 2 listings of every number in my phone book - one on the phone, and one on the SIM. Is there a way to fix this? Should I delete them all off the SIM card? This is my first phone with a SIM, like I said I'm phone-dumb.

Thanks guys (and gals).

·
Registered
276 Posts
check in the settings of your address book. Should be a way to tell it to view only from the phone, sim card, or both. If you had a Nokia I could tell you exactly how to do that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree, Motorollas have good features, but are hard to use, and just don't hold up like nokias.

I say that you should just deleate all the numbers on the sim card.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
I bought a nokia almost a year ago...it has a SIM card too. I have had problems w/the SIM Card falling out and such. I am not sure what its purpose is. I thought it was to store your info in case you change phones...you could just pop in a new SIM card and it would have all your numbers. I actually put my sim card in my husband's phone...no change his numbers were still on there and mine were not listed. weird?

I am going to get a new phone. My screen on the phone has been turning off so I can't see who is calling. It takes me a while to get it back on, I eventually end up banging it on something to get it back on. In the long run banging the phone will not cure it of this problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SIM cards allow you (in theory) to use any phone that will accept a SIM. It keeps you from having to reprogram the phone with YOUR personal number. It also keeps certain information that is needed by the carriers. SIM cards have a small amount of memory and allow for storing of numbers and sms.

If you don't have any numbers on your sim, it is probably due to the fact that most phones default to writing saved numbers to the phone's memory instead of the SIM card...on Nokia's if you go under Names and then Options there's a copy command and you can copy your phone book to your SIM card.

If you are going to switch phones tho, the best thing to do is to use a computer program to back up the phone and then write it into the new phone. A little bit of a headache but it usually works a lot nicer, although most phones now have a way of transferring contact information.

In the long run banging the phone will not cure it of this problem.
...yeah but it makes you feel better :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Untill I got the current phone that I have, I stored numbers exclussavily on the sim card, and didn't have to reenter them at all, and I like to update my phone every couple years (I am on my fifth nokia, and don't planning on goign to any other brand)

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
I am hooked on Nokia too. I will stay w/nokia even though I am having problems w/my current phone.....i think i I might have caused those problems. i.e. dropping the phone :)

ButterBean said:
...yeah but it makes you feel better :)
It actually makes me more mad b/c I have to make a phone call and have to go through all these motions to get it back on.....when it comes on that is when I am back in my happy place.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you should delete the phone numbers off the sim, since they will be on the phone. The sim is your back up, but since you have the option of changing tones and pictures, the numbers have to be on the phone. You follow? Its like having a floppy that automatically updates your autoexec.bat, and then copies the autoexec.bat back to the floppy. Its a redundent failsafe.

shawn :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Jlivan said:
I am hooked on Nokia too. I will stay w/nokia even though I am having problems w/my current phone.....i think i I might have caused those problems. i.e. dropping the phone :)
I have put my phones through torture, my first one was droped at least 100 times from at least 4 feet and lasted over 3 years, I always drop all of my phones, and I have never had one stop working.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Sed and Jlivan, just make sure that you keep a backup of the numbers somewhere, the V4000 should have some kind of backup software with it...it's just easier incase you ever have a prob or the phone is lost/stolen.

My sister-in-law was down this weekend and was beating her phone b/c of bad service. Then the display went out...it almost made her cry...I took it and did a quick fix and 5 minutes later it was working again...haven't heard any problems yet so hopefully that took care of it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
man, i don't want to hijack mike, you know that, but i have to point out how much of a post whore supergls is.... i mean i thought i was bad but jeez, he has just posted to become king of "most poster". Man super, you called me a whore!

shawn :)

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went through and took the numbers off the SIM... that was fun. Now I have all the numbers stored on the phone and nothing on the SIM. I looked around and couldn't find an option to display only the SIM or only the Phone-stored numbers. Oh Well. when it's time for a new phone I'll just "copy all to SIM" and worry about it then.

Nokia has given me problems in the past. I've had 3 motorola phones and 1 nokia... the nokia was by far the worst. I use Cingular... which has much better motorolas than Verizon (which is why I had a nokia, I tried verizon once - they sucked too).

So far I'm happy with my phone, I wish I would have opted for the V600, since it has Bluetooth, but I'm happy having saved $130 and getting the non-bluetooth model.

Thanks for the replies guys... you may now feel free to hijack the topic.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My fiance' and I both have Cingular (gotta love the moble-to-mobile & rollover), she has a moterolla and a lot of time I will have much better reception, and the sound on my nokia is a lot better than hers.

The worst phone I ever used was a moterolla for Nextel, It was like talking in a tin can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts