Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're planning on staying within the Hyundai brand, for price, and the owner loyalty discount. She was pretty much decided on a Sante Fe, then I mentioned the Tiburon would cost less than the Sante Fe (with all the goodies). Now we're stuck, I don't even know what I'd rather have her drive. It would be her car, and I would rarely drive it, so it's not like I'm picking out my future fun. I'd like the utility of the Sante Fe, but also would like to say we own a tibby. If she wants the tibby, it'll probably be an Auto-Trans V6. We haven't drove either yet, and I'm trying to look at this objectively. We won't be buying until early fall (after the wedding), so the tucson will probably come into play too. She doesn't like the way it looks as much as the Sante Fe though. I think they look the same, but it's her car. She doesn't want a sonata or XG, since she says she's not old enough to have to drive that kind of car yet - and is also against the elantra 'cause she doesn' t want to have the same car as me (even though she could get an 04 GT and it would be way different, no go). Any ideas or suggestions?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Sante Fe or Tuscon would be my vote. Have you tried to get in a Tib? I remember you saying you're 6'4" that might be a tight fit. Plus the tib can't haul all the goodies from a shopping trip or vacation stuff like the Sante Fe can.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Consider the insurance issue also, for long term cost the Tibby might cost more to insure being a "sports car" and all. Then again depending on how insurance rates are for SUVs where you are.... Here in NOVA an SUV costs considerably more to cover than a Tibby. My wife wants the Santa Fe anyway to replace her Galant which is falling apart at the seams.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Also think about if you have kids in the future, or already do. A Tib isn't a very family friendly hauler, ya know. You can pack everyone into a Sante Fe and go ;)

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea we've thought about the Kid-factor. The PLAN is to have kids 5 years out, which would mean this car would be paid off and we could buy a more kid-friendly machine. Everything about the Sante Fe makes more sence. It's just the "we're only young once" thing coming into play.

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
^Yup^ Tiburon isn't a real toy anyways, not unless you can mod the hell out of it. 4 cyl. is slower than the Elantra(weight factor), and the V6 is still kinda slow compared to other V6s. If you want a toy now, spend a little more and get the SRT4, even though I really don't like Neons, the price is close to a V6 Tib. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well if you are going by the your only young once get her an SRT-4 can't beat the bang for the buck or the 220hp PT crusier convertible.

·
s/c xd gt
396 Posts
Tucson.... 'cause its gonna be almost as big if not as big as the santa Fe... has a better interior, and costs less....exterior imo is better looking than Santa Fe or get a xg350l in white and pimp it out... heheh

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
evil247 said:
Well if you are going by the your only young once get her an SRT-4 can't beat the bang for the buck or the 220hp PT crusier convertible.
There's no way I'm giving her a car as fast as the SRT4, while I drive the XD. As for the Cruiser - I'd kill myself. I hate them. Don't care if it had twin turbos with 800 hp, and only cost 10 - grand. Would still hate it.

Anyways, we're trying to stay hyundai since I've referred quite a few people, and am a current owner, I should be able to weazle a great deal on whatever we pick.

Thanks for the voice of reason in the SUV area. I may push the Tucson, but have to see and drive it first.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My wife has an 02 Santa Fe 2WD GLS V6 and she loves it. I even get a kick out of occasionally driving it. Cargo space is a huge plus over the tibby, especially since you drive a little xd. Bought new, just over 20K mi now and not a single prob. If it were mine I would have slapped some 18s on it by now. Tucson looks nice, but one thing you gotta consider is that it will be a 1st gen and so will probably have bugs that need to be worked out.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, the 1st gen thing scares me a little too. But at the same time when the new sante fe comes out, I don't want to be like "oh, I have the OLD sante fe." lol.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah, it's not always fun to have last years model, but that's how you get one w/ all the bugs worked out and at the best deals. I don't think the Santa Fe has even had a facelift yet. Look at the XD and the XD2, very subtle changes, not enough to make me wanna run out and get one anyways. Maybe some parts will be interchangeable. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know I want my g/f (eventual future mrs.) to get an SUV type thing next car we get her. Just for the safety of them in an accident. I would go with the Santa Fe for the Fiance. God forbid something should happen, she's safe in a santa fe, in a Tib, you're pretty much screwed

·
Registered
65 Posts
My mom has a Santa Fe and loves it. Its pretty good on gas and very roomy. Fully loaded it cost around 20gs so it wasnt that expensive either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts