Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just purchased 2001 Elantra, 27k miles, 5 speed. It has a hesitation problem, cold or warm, makes no difference. Sometimes it does it when I first start it and leave it running in the yard but most of the time it is skipping while I am driving it. It seems like it it's looses one of cylinders just for a second and then it comes back. No check engine light is on but I hooked it up to my obd2 code reader anyway and it's not giving me any codes. Wires and plugs are new. I called dealer but I dont feel like waiting 3 weeks just to have car looked at. Any idea what could be causing this? throtle position sensor? ALso, does anyone knows if some electrical parts from newer accent with dual overhead cam fits on elantra? Thank in advance! Any advice would help.

·
Old Newbie
46 Posts
Does it happend between 3800 and 4000rpm? If so, search the forum, this topic is well documented here.

Welcome on the board

·
Registered
281 Posts
pitar said:
Hi everyone!
I just purchased 2001 Elantra, 27k miles, 5 speed. It has a hesitation problem, cold or warm, makes no difference. Sometimes it does it when I first start it and leave it running in the yard but most of the time it is skipping while I am driving it. It seems like it it's looses one of cylinders just for a second and then it comes back. No check engine light is on but I hooked it up to my obd2 code reader anyway and it's not giving me any codes. Wires and plugs are new. I called dealer but I dont feel like waiting 3 weeks just to have car looked at. Any idea what could be causing this? throtle position sensor? ALso, does anyone knows if some electrical parts from newer accent with dual overhead cam fits on elantra? Thank in advance! Any advice would help.
Sems you need the ecu fix.

Try disconencting the battery for 30 min or so then reconnecting it. Some tiems my car would do that if I went to long without reseting the ecu.

Are car comes with a DOHC already so no need for the accent head plus it's a diffrent motor. If you want to wake it up a bit there is an ecu upgrade for the car but you have to run preimum gas. That with a cold air intake at least from a numbers stand point seems like it should pep it up nicely.

·
Other options seeker
693 Posts
Also try the Keep It Simple Somtimes theory. Check the air filter. Mine got dirty and started some hesitation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kyrol said:
Sems you need the ecu fix.

Try disconencting the battery for 30 min or so then reconnecting it. Some tiems my car would do that if I went to long without reseting the ecu.

Are car comes with a DOHC already so no need for the accent head plus it's a diffrent motor. .
No, I wasnt asking because I wanted to change the head. I have my brothers accent(dohc also) in the yard and I peeked under the hood, it seems like it has same TBS so I thought maybe to switch 'em just to try if it makes difference. I disconected battery for now, we will see what happens. Keep you guys posted and thanks for quick response.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That TSB is for cold starts under certain conditions (warm humid summer mornings). That happens to my car also. The first acceleration of the day then its gone. I think Pitar mentioned that this also happens while its hot. If it happens while its hot he's got a real intermittent failure going on.

Pitar if you replaced the plug wires and plugs...Did the car do this AFTER you replaced them or before? It is possible to have a new plug wire that is bad (or sparkplug).

Dont forget the fuel injectors. You bought the car used so you dont know the PO maten habits. Did the PO use fuel injection cleaner (Techron or similar) every 3K miles? You may also have a intermittent fuel injector that stops working once in a while. I would add 12 oz. of Techron before you do anything else and drive till the tank is near empty.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Those scenerios are all possible, but I would take it to the dealer for the TSB. I've been talking to the guys at the dealership, and they say that the flash makes the car run better all around. If you take it there for the TSB, they'll also tell you if there is anything else wrong. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you take it there for the TSB, they'll also tell you if there is anything else wrong. It can't hurt.
----------------------------------------

Agreed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5port said:
Pitar if you replaced the plug wires and plugs...Did the car do this AFTER you replaced them or before? It is possible to have a new plug wire that is bad (or sparkplug).
It was doing it before I replaced them too. The old ones were not bad either.
As for the fuel injector cleaner I wouldnt know if PO used any, I will use techron anyway. Thanx guys. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, here is the latest. I took set of wires from my brothers accent (dohc that I mentioned earlier) and it works, no more hesitation. Earlier I went through 2 sets of original wires from hyundai dealership and it turns out that used wires from accent were better then both. Go figure.
Anyway, car runs fine now but I will take it to dealer anyway just to have it checked since I made the app. earlier.
Thank you all for your help and I will visit forum on regular basis now. Cheers!

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Pitar, it's been about 2 weeks. Have you got any updates? I think I've got a similar issue. I'm going to buy new wires next Thrusday too, I bought these ones about 3 months ago from Parts source and they are Bosch ones, but they don't seem to be doing any good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sold the vehicle, went back to VW's. It's not worth it..for me anyway..GL to you guys and thanx for help

·
Registered
542 Posts
Funny this should come up. It's been hot as hell here in Vegas (what else is new?) but it's been humid because of the scattered showers in the afternoons too, and yesterday my wife came home complaining about her XD saying it was acting up. You guys posted this link...you must have ESP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts