Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a direct fit high output alternator for my 02 GLS. I've searched the forum but the alternator threads were over a year old so here I am.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha.

Are there any specific shops that you would recommend then? Online shops that perhaps you've used in the past.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
no idea, never looked into it before. but i kno its been done, by atleast 1 or 2 people here.

do a google search n im sure ull b able to find something, or wait till someone else chimes in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ya, i'd love to hear from anyone who's can recommend an amp upgrade store.

Thanks, man.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Which alt did he buy? I went to the site and there's no listing for Hyundai.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
yeah. not a single hyundai listing 1999 or up.

unless u have to call them and ask if they can make a custom one for you. maybe thats what he meant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just emailed them. Hopefully I get a reply soon. :)

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
good luck, i searched for 4 years for one. couldnt find anything. i did get some dirt on the specs of the oem one, but couldnt find anyone to build me what i wanted at the time. why do you need a h/o alt? i ran crazy ammount of power when i had my xd wiht a system. i ended up running 2 batteries. a red top under the hood for the car, and a class 34d yellow top optima (biggest yellow top you could buy), and never had any draw issues. my buddy bought that car and is still on the original alt. i was running 3500 rms iirc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys. So far I only have one company who said they can do the HO for our cars. MotorCityReman.Com quoted 120 amps for 300 bucks. The other company's that I emailed either said they couldn't do it or haven't replied yet. I'll let you guys know when I get more information and I'd still appreciate more feedback from you if you've had luck in this situation.

2loud2k2xd, I rarely drive on the highway and in town rarely get above 2k RPM's. I'm trying to drive like a grandma to save wear and tear, as well as save gas. I'm running 2 amps and I'm always rockin' in the car haha. I've been through 3 red or yellow tops since buying the car in 02:confused: I attribute that to not getting enough juice from the alternator even though it's always putting out normal volts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha. Thanks anyways, man.

Oh, and another consideration is an overdrive pulley. Since I rarely go above 2k RPM's that might be helpful too. Is there one made for our cars?

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
not that i know of, however... at work, i noticed that alot of alternators that people buy from us (advance auto) come with slightly smaller pulleys than the core they come in with, and obviously, a smaller pulley spins faster producing more amperage, am i right?

if i have enough cash to buy a new alternator, which i think ill need soon, ill make sure to pay attention when i do this to c if the "new" one comes with a smaller pulley or not.

also, 120 amps, for 300 bucks, doesnt seem high enough... 150 for 300 wud b a lil better i think, no?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not that i know of, however... at work, i noticed that alot of alternators that people buy from us (advance auto) come with slightly smaller pulleys than the core they come in with, and obviously, a smaller pulley spins faster producing more amperage, am i right?

if i have enough cash to buy a new alternator, which i think ill need soon, ill make sure to pay attention when i do this to c if the "new" one comes with a smaller pulley or not.

also, 120 amps, for 300 bucks, doesnt seem high enough... 150 for 300 wud b a lil better i think, no?
Exactly. A lot of these aftermarket alternators "burn out" prematurely because they have smaller pulley's which spin the alt. all that much faster, producing more voltage, but also adding more "drag" which steals a tiny bit of horsepower and gas mileage.

And I agree, 300 bucks for 120 amps seems high.

Ok, newest quote is 200 amps for $380 bucks with free shipping from http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
how much power are you running anyway?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really dont remember. They're a good 7 or so years old. I'm running 4 component speakers and two subs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, you know... Maybe we can get a group buy to get some better prices if any of you are interested let me know.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
I really dont remember. They're a good 7 or so years old. I'm running 4 component speakers and two subs.
interesting, i would think knowing how many watts your pushing is sort of clutch to know if you think your having power output issues.
What are you amp model numbers and such? even if its old i bet with some good searching we can find out your RMS wattage.

As for the group buy, i doubt there is much interest here. many people have run over 2000w setups (myself included) which is enough power to knock stuff off peoples shelves in their houses as you drive by with the right setup lol. and they use the stock alt with either dual battery setups and an isolator, or just by using yellow tops, dry cells, or a high power sealed battery. some with, some without caps.

as far as the red top gues, has higher cca than the yellow, but the yellow top has a deeper charge, its more for winches really, but it has enough cca for the car n/p.

heres my setup:
1400-1600w RMS 1ohm Sub Amp
444 RMS 4 channel Interior Amp
Total Wattage: 1844-2044 (the reason for the range is my amp benches differently every time ive seen it tested, as its a cheaper brand)

I just have a yellow top and a 5f cap. if im running at Max volume i still get the slightest headlight dimming, but its not bad

I helped a friend setup his Stinger dry cell with isolator for his setup, his was probably around 2500w total. he never had any issues with it, even on long 10+hr road trips.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts