Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know anywhere good to get a high output alternator for the hd?

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
No, there is not one. The HD uses 2 voltage regulators, one in the ECU and the other in the alternator and they have to match to work correctly. The HD alt is designed to have a 13.6 volt output at 105 amps, and the ECU is monitoring the output and will slow down the output when necessarily.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
i recently saw someone on ebay selling 160amp alts for the elantra, i had bought a 130 awhile back.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
i recently saw someone on ebay selling 160amp alts for the elantra, i had bought a 130 awhile back.
They won't work correctly; there is a internal regulator in the ecu that limits the amperage from the alternator on the HD and newer cars. Even IF the alt was designed and built for a high amperage, the stock regulator in the ECU limits that amperage to 105 amps because the ECU controls the alternator output to 13.5 volts maximum and 105 amps (with a CAN bus line from the alternator to the ECU. There is an internal regulator in the alternator, but it does not fully control the alternator output. It works with the one in the ECU to regulate the output of the alternator.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
the volt meter in my head unit while driving says 14.2-3 volts.
The ECU controls it, and the maximum voltage it will allow is 13.5 volts on the CAN bus equipped systems. On the XD2, there is no true CAN bus system as there is on the HD.

The lower voltage is due to the newer types of batteries that are used, namely AGM types, which are absorbed glass matt type, which can't take a high amp or voltage charge. These batteries are used more in cars now due to the ability to be discharged and recharged frequently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They won't work correctly; there is a internal regulator in the ecu that limits the amperage from the alternator on the HD and newer cars. Even IF the alt was designed and built for a high amperage, the stock regulator in the ECU limits that amperage to 105 amps because the ECU controls the alternator output to 13.5 volts maximum and 105 amps (with a CAN bus line from the alternator to the ECU. There is an internal regulator in the alternator, but it does not fully control the alternator output. It works with the one in the ECU to regulate the output of the alternator.
thats only for the 2006 and up elantra's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts