Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay....so i went to this bagel place that i normally go to in the morning....and i roll through this light....sure enough there is another black 4 dr elantra....couple of stickers on it...younger looking guy in it....i'm curious if he knows about our site....i pull into the parking lot..he follows....i go in and he comes in aswell....i ask him if he is looking for performance parts for his elantra...he responds "nah i'm supercharged and intercooled" so i'm like...have you been to elantraxd...he was like yeah i've spent hours on that site...get my bagel...he starts talking to the guy at the counter, he obviously knows him, "yeah i was racing this ford svt last night...you they have like 170 at the wheels" yeah well he starts pulling on me and then i turn on the supercharger!!"....i'm thinking to myself....what the f!ck is this guy talking about...."yeah you know that new 4 and half inch intake is the bomb!!" WTF!!! so i'm like...do you mind if i take a look at it? he was like "yeah no prob" i go outside....he pops the hood....he has 4 and half inch PVC piping with those retarded ebay "supercharger" fans in it!!! WTF!!! i start laughing and just walked away!!! ignorance at its best! godda love it!
:abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol:

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Go ahead n flame me, but I'd still like to see a Dyno sheet and a Track Slip with one of those "Superchargers" installed. I admit, I looks like major BS, but I'm curious nevertheless.

Axel

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
a 2 liter motor ingests more air than one of those fans can flow...

but yeah, he sounds stupid.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I wasn't sure people like that really existed untill now and I must say it is a sad day when you find out it's an Elantra owner and he claims to have been here.

·
Registered
880 Posts
this is def on par with electric turbos, whistles for the exhaust to make the car sound TCed and the fake hood mounted blowers that were posted here recently...it's amazing how much $$ is being made on e-bay thanks to stupid ppl

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
:eek: I didn't think there was anyone that ignorant :abovelol:
What a popcorn fart.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'd race him instead, then I could say I beat a "supercharged" XD with my NA wonderpony LOL :D :D Thank God he didn't have any EXD stickers on the car, that would have been very bad. :rolleyes:

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
The highest 12 volt-powered 4" fan I can find puts out a max of 120 CFM with no pressure "load," and draws 1 amp.

Based on my calculations:

2 liters = 0.07 cubic foot
6500 revolutions per minute (divided by 2 for one intake, one exhaust cycle per RPM) = 3250 cycles per minute

3250 cycles / minute * 0.07 cubic foot / cycle = 227.5 cubic feet / minute

Now, if you used three 120 CFM fans... ;)

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but still the amount of air moving...using three fans would interupt the flow of air anyway....people are just plain stupid! :abovelol:

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Actually, just for the heck of it, I ordered 4 38X120mm 130-CFM fans (all of $4 each) from http://www.excess-solutions.com. I figured I'd try mounting the four fans to where I've already trimmed out the air intake box (four fans side-by-side blowing into the intake).

Normal muffin-type fans aren't capable of building any pressure so it won't be a true pressure-boost system, but if it overcomes the resistance to airflow on the intake, they might boost low end torque a little bit. Each one draws about 1 amp, so there will be an additional 4 amp power drain due to the fans (roughly the equivalent of running an additional 55w fog-light bulb), so the resistance at the alternator may overcome any slight potential power gains from the fans.

Any true electrical "supercharger" would need to use some type of compressor or at least some type of high flow squirrel-cage-blower fans, but the amp current draw would be too high to be practical without an auxillary battery & charger system. Most if not all of the engine power gains would be lost due the mechanical energy needed to generate the electrical energy combined with the losses converting the electrical energy back to mechanical energy.

Even when they're off, there's more open cross-sectional area between the blades for air to pass through them than through the small triangular factory opening to the bottom of the air box. Of course, I'll be drawing in warm engine bay air instead of cool air...

Ultimately I'm going to be using these fans for cooling the engine room on a boat (12V system), but I figured I'll hook them up on the car first just for laughs and see if there's any change other than an annoying high-pitched fan whine from under the hood. It'll be an interesting diversion for a few hours, though. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
Glad to see the Gangsta Chrome switch panels making their way into outher posts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts