Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen that a couple of guys have home brew HID systems. I'd like some input on this stuff if possible! Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can't find a pic right now, but I compared with Audi A6 2001, it was just same.
Same color, Same cut off line. I love my HID.
I did it by myself. it took 3 days tho. 2 days for installing, 1 day for aiming.
BTW, I don't know what is HIDtech. Is it member's name? or company?
I saw some website how I can connect correctly.
Otherwise, I just took out the headlight and cut it.
When you wanna install that, you have to move battery to the left.
Also, you have to cut the top part of windshild wiper fluid tank.
I cut the tennis ball to make a cap for fluid tank.
I used dromel tool ??? to cut the head light assembly.
I bought the 2001 A6 HID on ebay.
I aimed with Zip tie.
It's been a year but,
If anybody wants to do this, I will be glad to help you out. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is another way to do it:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xl.../f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xlr8also/my_photos

If you do it this way there is no cutting of anything in the engine compartment because the whole projector is sitting inside of the headlight assy. Thats a Mercedes E55 trim ring around the outside of the projector.

1) I bought two spare headlights on Ebay for 85.00 each.

2) I sent the two headlights to http://www.hidtech.com and they did the retrofit.

3) They installed two Valeo ECE projectors with two Philips D2S bulbs and two Philips ballasts.

4) They dremeled a hole in the back of each low beam. Surrounding the outside of this hole they drilled four mounting holes for the projector. Through the front of each projector there are four long mounting screws that go thru the headlight housing and are secured with four nuts. After they aligned each projector they locked all the harware in place with JBweld.

5) I'm very happy with the way it came out but it was all very expensive and I would do it myself if I did it again.

6) BTW HIDtech sells a kit of all the parts they put in my car for $459 (2 Valeo projectors, 2 D2S bulbs and two Philips ballasts).

7) Another advantage to doing it this way you get to use the original aligment screws when you are done.

8) Here's a good place to start looking for ideas and parts:

http://www.hidforum.com

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5port, how much did you spend total? I don't wanna do this myself simply because I have no patience for stuff like that. I'd rather get it done pro. And my local car toys will do it for 500 installed. :) And it will look super nice. Not projectors though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My bad. I didnt realize you are just going with a kit. I highly recommend projectors with HID and here's why:

Here's my Elantra GT with McCulloch 5000K H7 HID kit installed in the halogen housings (garage door pattern)

Same car with Valeo ECE projectors with 4100K D2S

Look how pretty the projectors look to oncoming traffic

There is a lot less glare when you use projectors with HID. I havent been flashed once with projectors . With my McCulloch kit I was flashed everytime I would crest a hill.

HIDtech charged:

Retrofit charge $300

Valeo Projectors and Elec $450

Mercedes trim rings $150

They had a special going on with free shipping or that would have been $50 more.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I spent like $600. But, I would recomand how 5port did.
That one, you can aim correct (mine, Ziptie... I can aim tho...)
Looks more clean (I got some dust in corner, scratches inside the glass)
No pain (DIY was pretty hard. Yes, it was hard)
Brand new HID and projector and bulb and ballast (mine 2001 A6)
You don't have to move battery or cut the window washer resorver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts