• More than $10.00 per gallon

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Honestly, I can't say.

Votes: 30 28.3%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Is there a selection of, "it doesn't matter how high it goes"? It's a necessity, especially for people that live far from work. Either move within walking distance to work, change your work so it's closer to home, and hybrids work with their electronic motors under 35 km/h, so doesn't help much for the highway folk, only the city in traffic folk. I think companies know that we will keep forking it out cause we need it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd pay whatever it cost to drive. I don't have a choice if I'm going to survive. The extra costs will just have to be cut from expenses elsewhere to compensate.

·
Workin'
3,150 Posts
it passed $5 a gallon here in Canada a while ago, at least in this neck of the woods. Thankfully it is down again by 10c a litre (38cents a gallon, roughly), so we're back in the 4-5 dollar range now. I'm saying $9, because once it hits the double digits and it starts costing me the same to fill up then as it took to fill an SUV at $1.50 a gallon, I'm going to be shocked into walking, no matter how far that might be.

lets hope it doesn't get to that point

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I am also a 7 mile commuter. $4.00/gallon is my max out before drastic measures (riding a bike, sharing the ride with others, etc). Not because $4.00/gallon is the most I CAN pay, but the most I WILL pay.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
my work is 28 miles away, right now I am paying around 220 us dollars a month JUST TO GO WORK.

Did anyone else see that Kuwait has given us 500 million dollars worth of oil to help offset the prices because of Katrina?

I mean, we helped them for the last 20 years, got them their freedom, and they are the HEAD of OPEC.

Lets get goin here OPEC!!!

-shawn

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
i say any higher than it is now. i only work about a mile away, so i could even walk if necessary.

if gas gets to be 5$/gallon, ill buy an evo or somethign and run straight race gas, which will probably be cheaper @ that point

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I drive 40 miles round trip a day, 6 days a week just to goto work.If it goes to or past 4.00 gallon i'll have to cut more spending elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I commute to my college (New Haven to Storrs) 5 days a week, 125 miles a day :). This whole summer ive saved up cuz i knew it was going up and up... so this first week of school ive done about 625miles on 18gallons that comes out to about 35mpg. Now i have a stock automatic and a 100 pound system in my trunk but i get that much because I actually go the speed limit on the highway (55-65mph) plus no A/C, I can tough it out since I worked in a garage all summer. So to me its not the cost but how you use that gallon, now if I was driving a suv that barely got 20mpg then id start being frightened.

·
12,676 Posts
i guess i would pay as much as it gets up to if i had a nice lady friend to take out for the night. but after a couple dates, id have to use the "high gas price" excuse to stay @ my place

LOL

·
12,676 Posts
um. i think ill drive and let her save the riding for later

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
With me, the school district encourages carpooling, but there are situations where people can't. My classroom is about 4 miles away, but there are times I have to go to other schools on short notice.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Time to break out the trailer park fuel card: 4 feet of garden hose and a 5 gallon drum ...

·
Registered
192 Posts
evan938 said:
i guess i would pay as much as it gets up to if i had a nice lady friend to take out for the night. but after a couple dates, id have to use the "high gas price" excuse to stay @ my place

LOL
Evan I might have just the thing for you. I bought a motor made by Sears and Roebuck. Made in 1975 was never used when I bought it 2 years ago. It bolts on a bicycle and gets 150 MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I drive 45 miles to and from work, five days a week. That's about 900 miles a month, not counting weekends and leisure driving. If gas gets to be five dollars, I'm paying off the Elantra, buying a shirt that says "DOUCHE" in big letters, getting a Segway and finding a job closeby that I can Segway to, wearing that shirt to pre-empt the cat-calls.

(Yes, that's me. You can rent those things at City Island in Harrisburg, and they're fun, but there's no way to avoid looking like a complete twat when riding them. I managed to pop one of the wheels off the ground doing a hard fast turn, but didn't fall off.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts