Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
If you take care of the paint, the paint will take care of you. I'd rate the paint on Hyundais average. Best thing I advise is hand washing, claybaring, then waxing. All with good name brand stuff. I use Mothers brand. Also, it doesn't hurt if you know how to buff. You can pick up a small AC Delco buffer for like 40 bucks at Pep Boys. Be careful with the buffer, as you can actually burn the paint off if you don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
the paint is covered for i think 12 months and only for manufacturing defects (if you can prove it. some dealers are pricks about it) i.e. no scratches or damage due to tree sap, bird crap, acid rain, etc. unless you got additional insurance on paint (i was offered one when buying my car). i had some spots on the roof and the hood that looked like water marks since day 1 and i just thought that the dealership did a crappy job washing the car. after those things didn't come out after a few washes and a wax job i took it back. of course nobody offered to repaint my car for free but i did get a free quality buff job that took care of those spots.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my car paint serviced about 6 months ago. My clearcoat was start to cracking. My hood, left front door, top, trunk. I had no problem with getting the work approved but few weeks ago I found out around the door molding clearcoat was pilling out again. My car is only year and half old. I guess living in Sunny Florida sucks for paint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a dark blue 2003 gt that I bought in April '03. THE PAINT IS CRAP !!!! After the first wash I noticed fine scratches in the hood. I have tried many name brand products that claim to take out fine scratches, NONE OF THEM HAVE WORKED !!! The car has 10k miles on it and is garage kept. I don't want to try a buffer because I am afraid I will go right through what paint I have on the car. I am not happy. The scratches really look bad on a dark blue car. :(

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Well, I always thought the paint was fine on my 2002 Elantra (Pewter). My 04 Santa Fe though... changed my mind. I did see the typical hyundai paint complaints in the finish (Merlot). I think the paint looks worse on the darker colors. It's nothing severe, just those minor hairline scratches in a couple places. I'll see what it looks like once I claybar it and use some high-quality wax.

·
Registered
276 Posts
snova44, you might want to try the Meguiars...it works pretty good on mine.

Yeah, the paint isn't as good as it should be, I want to have it repainted but $$$ is not at a level where that's possible.

BTW, what is the claybar that you guys are talking about? :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Claybar is just that, it's a bar of clay. When used with a detailing spray, or soapy water, you rub it over the car. It's like rubbing down any imperfections and contaminates in the paint. Look at some of the detailing forums, or search the archive on XD to find out more information. You can get a good starter set at Pep Boys for about $20. That's where I got mine, made by Mothers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just droped off my car today at the dealer ship. Since I already yelled at them about their service, it didn't take that much time to get everythig approved. I don't even know how long it's gonna take but they gave me XG350 for loaner(2004 only had 370 miles fully loaded) so I don't really care how long it takes. I hope this will be the last trip to the dealer for paint job though. By the way after this paint job I can say 90% of my car has been repainted. :( 03 GT dark blue

·
Registered
879 Posts
I plan on getting mine repainted within the next year. The paint is already showing a lot of wear and tear and I have an 03 Silver GT. Scratches pretty easily too. Hoping to get it painted silver again but a higher gloss silver than the stock paint.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
after the three year paint coverage I have ends, I will definitely be getting a quality paint job! Like someone else said, its really only good for covering manufacturers paint defects..not the fact that the paint is not very durable and is paper thin (when compared to other cars I have seen)

·
Registered
93 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
All I can tell you is to take care of the paint. It's just like any other part of the car, it responds to how it's taken care of. You must treat it right in order for it to last.
yeah but it's not like I didn't takecare of the car. I washed my car every saturday and I waxed it about every month or to. I think there is something wrong with 2003 cars with clearcoats.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The problem with the paint on the darker cars is that they probably do not get properly detailed before delivery. They probably just wash the cars, clean out the new car trash, clean the windows and shine the tires. I work at BMW and I used to work in the detail department. If any of our dark colored cars had any kind of scratches whether big or small, we had to buff them shits out. We would first high speed buff the scratches out, high speed glaze the areas that had the scratches to prevent swirls, then orbital buff the entire car. Then you do the windows and shine the tires. These guys at the Hyundai dealerships probably just 'freshen' up the new cars. And it's not that it's mostly on the darker cars, it's that you can only see the small scrathes on the darker cars. They do exist on the lighter cars as well, they are just nearly invisible.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
gunwoo82 said:
I had my car paint serviced about 6 months ago. My clearcoat was start to cracking. My hood, left front door, top, trunk. I had no problem with getting the work approved but few weeks ago I found out around the door molding clearcoat was pilling out again. My car is only year and half old. I guess living in Sunny Florida sucks for paint.
I live in fl too! No problems with my paint job yet :hammer: Knock on wood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts